BG results

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, my glucose meter turned up a couple of days ago so I have been taking a test when I wake, just before I eat and 2 hours after I eat and then I've been writing it all down but I don't really know whether my levels are ok. I've been putting the results into an online blood checker and it keeps saying I'm high but I don't know how to get my levels down. I'm not on any medication for my diabetes, I've only got till the end of September to show I can control it with diet.

I've been eating small amounts of carbs to see if I can have them but the results are probably not good. I've been looking at the LCHF diet but I am very nervous of doing it as my GP told me No fatty foods and No sugary foods and No fruit! I'm very confused. I am carrying a lot of extra weight so I really can't afford to gain pounds.

Yesterday my results went like this - on waking 6am -6.8
7.45 - 6.8 then I had 3 hard boiled eggs
9.45 - 7.1
12.45 -6.5 I had a chicken and veg curry with a small jacket potato
2.45- 7.5
5.00 - 7.1 then I had some beef stew with a very small amount of potato (less than 1 spud in total)
7.00 - 8.2

That's all I had all day. I haven't been snacking or anything as I'm too worried about my diabetes. Thank you for reading this x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There isn't much to worry about with those numbers
The morning and before meals is a bit high, probably from insulin resistance
The meals you are eating are fine with only a small rise and still within range.

In your situation You could talk with the dr about metformin for a while. Till you see if lchf brings it down for you

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs and fat are like a seesaw, as you decrease one. You increase the other .
It you go low carb. You need fat/oil to replace the lost energy or you will be cold and tired
The first week of low carb isn't fun
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

A normal hclf is 50%carb 30%fat and 20%protein
Lchf could be 30%carb 50%fat and 20%protein

Last edited by a moderator:

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those readings seem very reasonable and nothing much to be over concerned about.

If you are extremely overweight (as I was) then your blood glucose levels will lower as the weight comes off.

I would follow your G P's advice and continue with your balanced diet. I would be surprised if you didn't start getting fasting levels in the 5's within the next couple of weeks.

You don't say whether you are taking any exercise. A 15 minute brisk walk after a meal will bring down your post-prandial levels quite dramatically.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those readings after meals are very good - look at the actual rise from before to 2 hours after, they are very acceptable rises, and the end results are all within range. It is your starting levels that need to come down. The higher you start, the higher you will finish.

The NICE guidelines for type 2's say between 4 and 7 pre-meal, and under 8.5 2 hours after. However, these are a little out of date and too generous in most people's opinion. Some of us are aiming for non-diabetics targets, which according to NICE should be between 4 and 5.9 before meals and under 7.8 at 2 hours.

I have lost 3 stones 3lbs following a low carb diet with increased fats - I just ditched the low fat products and changed back to real butter, real yogurts, real mayonnaise, and stopped being afraid of things like bacon. However, I don't go overboard with the fats, I just don't actively avoid them. As said above, if you drastically cut the carbs you have to increase either the fats or the protein or you may make yourself ill. Just keep an eye on the calories.

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only got my monitor yesterday, so tried it out this morning and at 6:30am mine was 7.5, tested again for curiosities sake at 7:00am and it was 8.4 then had breakfast, now at 9:00am and it's 7.3, and it was cereal for breakfast!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App