1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

BG spike after eating

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Thelma21, Jul 16, 2019.

1. scaryblueberry

scaryblueberry Type 1 · Member

2. scaryblueberry

scaryblueberry Type 1 · Member

novorapid
    NovoRapid® will start to lower your blood sugar 10-20 minutes after you take it, it has a maximum effect between 1 and 3 hours and the effects last for 3-5 hours. when i used to use it i thought it took a lot longer to Start working and it would be gone out of my body after 6 hours. now im using humalog which works, peaks and is gone from your body mich quicker. Theres another Insulin that works even fast er but i cant remember the name.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. clanders

clanders Type 1 · Active Member

Hi Thelma 21,

Be wary of taking more insulin as you may experience more hypoglycemic episodes. It's possible that you need a higher insulin to carbohydrate ratio but do this in consultation with you diabetic team for the safest options. My Consultant advises that post meal spikes are the normal for Type 1's and tend to lower to within range after 2 to 4 hours. Does your carbohydrate counting need an update. Also a libre user I find them intermittently widely inaccurate with as much as a full 7mmol of glucose inaccurate (showed 15.2 mmols when the blood test (Caresens and libre) showed 7.2. I'm advised to leave blood sugars for 2 hours post meals before I use Novorapid. I now calibrate my libre every morning to check how accurate it actually is :) Good luck

4. FraserGlendinning

FraserGlendinning · Newbie

Hi, if you have and iPhone then the libre app will only work from an iPhone 7 up.
    I’m currently using a 6 plus with the libre scanner.
    Can’t quite justify spending several hundred quid on a new phone yet just for a specific app. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LOVE_LIFE

LOVE_LIFE Type 1 · Member

6. LOVE_LIFE

LOVE_LIFE Type 1 · Member

Has anyone checked the Delivery Device (Novopen Echo or FlexPen) to see if the amount of Insulin released is the same each time or if any is produced at all? Sometimes my fluctuations in BG levels relate to the Delivery Device issues rather than the Insulin itself. Could also be the needles, such as Novotwist.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. moori

moori Type 1 · Member

Hi all!!
    After 1.5 years of these highs and lows, i decided to try the low carb.
    It does wonders, when i look at my Libra, it seems as though im not diabetic!!!
    Definitely worth a try.

8. lollyann1

lollyann1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn’t know you could ‘calibrate’ Libre! There was a recent software upgrade available on line from Abbots to make it more accurate, if you still haven’t done it.

10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't, unless using a 3rd party app like glimp. I check against bg and 'calibrate' in my head.

11. CarolMac

CarolMac Type 1 · Newbie

Are you on a low carbohydrate diet? The white food groups, such as rice & potatoes & breads along with starchy foods such as corn, beans, & peanuts raise up the blood sugars a couple hours after eating.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook