Victoria.q

Hi Everyone ,

A question for all the ladies out there... does anyone notice that a couple days before your period your BG spikes? I’ve noticed recently ( as I’ve improved my control and testing) that mine spike REALLY badly. Usually I’m around 6-8, but it can go up to 16-18!!!. This is fasting BG too, not the result of extra snacking/ craving of carbs foods from PMS. I find that I usually have to increase my background insulin too to compensate.

I don’t take hormonal contraceptives so it’s not as if there are any more artificial hormones in my body, (...apart from all the insulin ) that might explain it.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

I’m 26 and have been type 1 for 13 years and my last Hb1ac was 7.3.

Thanks!

t1d08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happens to me I got my period two days ago and a few days prior to getting my period I had a few spikes in the 10-15 range once I got my period everything started balancing out again.

Last edited:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I had to increase my basal for a few days and decrease the day my period started. Funnily enough at one point (in my late 30s or early 40s) I didn't start going low the first day of my period and kept the higher basal dose. I presumed I would have to increase further before my next period but from then on my periods didn't affect my blood sugar.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine runs higher through my period, and my dawn phenomenon seem worse too. The joys of being female