BG Spikes

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning,

I am just checking my understanding of BG spikes and eating. Views/Opinions are welcome.

When I test, I tend to test before meals and hten 90 and 120 mins after. Sometimes I also test 150 mins after if I am having a carb heavy food - e.g. Porridge, rice or I am testing a "new" food.

Spikes are ok but need to be under 2mmols after eating (90-120 mins)

The faster my BG returns to pre eating levels the better. eg. before eating 5.5. 90mins later 5.9, 120 mins later 5.5

Yesterday when I tested before eating and it was 5.7, 90 mins later it was 4.7 and then 120 mins later it 5.1. Admittedly it was a fry up (eggs, bacon, mushrooms) so very low carb (6g). Whats the veiw on BG reducing after eating?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so too:)

This is the first ime my BG has reduced after eating. I am guessing my body is absorbing any impact of the (very low carbs) quite quickly.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so too:)

This is the first ime my BG has reduced after eating. I am guessing my body is absorbing any impact of the (very low carbs) quite quickly.
Yes. I've found this when my liver has been dumping sugar into my blood from not eating in the morning, or after exercise - post-meal readings can be lower, which someone on here explained as your liver after dumping sugar has more storage room in it, so your liver has space to store the sugar after eating, so there's not so much left to be circulating in the blood. It's going to be doubly effective if your meal is very low carb, as yours was.

Reactions: ixi1429

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@eggs11

Good point. I didn't eat breakfast yeaterday as I sometimes skip breakfast on a weekend to reduce my overall daily carbs.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just checked back through my threads to find it was @DCUKMod who explained it so well to me: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-does-if-effect-fbg.136159/page-2
Her post quoted here; "When our livers release glucose in the mornings, of course we haven't eaten, so the only place that can come from is our personal reserves it keeps for us. So, releasing a bit of the reserves is a bit like running down a rechargeable battery a bit.
Next time we eat, our body prioritises recharging our liver, so that can have the impact of softening any rise from the first foods eaten.
Of course that's mega, mega simplistic, but for me the liver/battery imagery works quite well."