BG testing

kjc2012

HI all :lol:
I've made a few posts and asked lots of questions which many of you have replied to and given me great advice so i would like to say thanks for all the help you have given me.
I have just received a free meter as i'm type 2 and not prescribed one off my GP. The thing is i'm really nervous about testing so any advice on testing that anyone can give me would be greatfuly received, anything in general you can tell me would be fantastic.
once again thanks :p

welsh_kev

Hi kj

What is making you nervous? The pricking issue or the results themselves?
Im new to all this myself, 10 weeks post diagnosis. I now only test before evening meal and 2 hours later. This is now only to help identify what foods are affecting me, im now in good control of my bg (type 2) and effectivly doing a very low carb regime which suits me.
Dont be nervous, make sure your hands are clean and more importantly warm before the pricking and alls well. Im sure you will settle into things given time. Dont beat yourself up.

Kev

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi

I wish I had a film of the first time I attempted to test!! The idea of drawing my own blood made me feel like passing out!! I sat there for ages ... and ages .... finger pricker poised ..... and I just couldn't get the courage to do it. It was awful. In the end, I decided to cough .... yes, cough at the exact moment that I pressed the finger pricker - and that really helped!!

I always wash hands thoroughly, rub them together briskly, shake them a bit ... and always test from the top sides, not the tips/pads. I don't squeeze near the site, cos this can affect the reading.

After starting as a really squeamish newcomer I am now totally sanguine (ha ha) about it. I think if you are VERY interested in the results, it helps.

The other day, I cut my finger quite badly on some glass ..... my thoughts, ****!! I could've tested that!!!

Good luck

CathyN

kjc2012

hi and thanks for your reply :D
that's exact;y how i feel cathyN nervous about testing and drawing my own blood twice i got it out yesterday and just looked at it and couldn't bring myself to do it.
I know it doesn't hurt as i've had it done when i was in hospital for day surgery, the nurse did it twice so i know there's nothing to woory about doing it it's just doing it myself
i'll keep trying over the weekend and if no joy i'll speak to my diabetic nurse next week as i've got an appointment as my metformin has just been doubled from 2 daily of slow release tablets to 4 daily and my stomach isn't taking to it to kindly even slow release :sick:

AliC

I can totally agree with what CathyN said about if it's important to you it's easier.

I just started self-testing yesterday. The GP showed me how to do it in his office - and I actually did it in his office. There is still trepidation now, about five tests and 18 hours in, but ultimately I just line it up and press the button. It doesn't hurt which I think helps.

I think my eagerness to see the measurements, to record them and get a handle on my condition really helps me overcome any problems in actually taking the measurements in the first place.

Maybe my GP's offer of me doing it there and then gave me a head start? Dunno. Hope this helps :)