Big Change in BS What could it mean!

fit2drop

Dislikes
Not Eating
Hi All, I have noticed recently a change in my daily BS although I have laid off checking so much since the early days as I kind of know my stuff now. I not to sure what it means but I'll give 2 examples.
A bit naughty the other week (1st time in six months) I have some choc sponge cake, choc custard, after a white pasta meal. My young son made this for fathers day at school, so I couldn't refuse. I put my BS up to 10 but within 2 hours it was down to 4.7.
Then this morning I was on the hungry side so for breakfast at 6; I had 1 pink grapefruit, 45g of Aplen with milk, then about 20g of almonds & 25g of roasted peanuts. I don't know what my peak was but 2 hours later I'm back to 4.5. My last hba1c was 5.3.

I haven't felt so since I was diagnosed and it now looks like I have very low testosterone levels which they are looking into.
Could this have been the cause of my high BS in the 1st place.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Hi

I'm struggling to work out what you say is a high sugar level because the highest number you mention is 10 and that's not what I'd call high! If you can eat all the stuff you mention and have a post meal reading of 4.7 then that sounds very good to me. I stuffed some crisps, a bit of fruit and a small chocolate bar and my sugar level before bed was 20!!!! With an HBA1C of 5.2 I would say you are doing very well. My last one was 7.9.

Presumably you're on some sort of medication or are you just controlling it with diet alone? When I was diagnosed in 1995 my sugar level was 22 and the hospital wanted to put me onto insulin straight away but I wasn't keen so I went onto tablets and was on them for several years. Eventually, after about eight years I went on to once a day long acting insulin but my sugar levels were still high and I went on to multiple injections a day which settled my levels down and I am injecting three times a day after meals and also once at night but I still get high levels occasionally, eg. the 20. With levels like yours you must be doing the right things and I am envious of your HBA1C.

fit2drop

Dislikes
Not Eating
I am on 2 x 500 Metformin. I call 10 high because I aim to keep below 8 as much as possible. I do this by not eating anything produced, except smoked fish & this week Alpen. Fruit in moderation seems to be ok, I'd take a 100g of raspberry's over the space of a few hours, allowing me to get the health benefits without the hit. I have found that portions are the 1st key, careful carb selecting the 2nd & a clear defined reward where applicable the 3rd.

The RGDA on packets; most of us know are based on the female intake but I think we are better of to stick with that figure as a max. Look at the portion 1st rather than the rest of the figures. Take a carton of those homemade types of soups popping up in the shops, looks like a healthy choice, that carton serves 3 people and a normal tin of soup serves 2 people and still that is providing the rest of your daily intake is supportive of that meal. The new special K with 3% fat is based on a 30g portion inclusive of milk, you can count the flake in the bowl. Most people would have a bowl or when being good half a bowl.
That now explains why I was high with porridge during the winter; I was eating a bowl not 25g, eat 25g its no big deal (For me) not that filling so I'd have an omelette some days without the egg yolks, maybe add some tomato, celery, radish. One great hunger quencher I make up is a tea from fresh ginger and a pinch of cheyenne pepper.

That is why I don't call what I'm doing a low card diet / lifestyle. What we now consider to be of normal carb intake is in my opinion hugely excessive. This is the BS bit, 1 piece of my over all health, I was told that I needed statins, my cholesterol was at 6.4; three months on and it's 5.0 @ 2:1 ratio which is pretty darn good I'm told.

I'm finding that by getting each little bit into check the whole picture is becoming so much easier to manage. Re education which is quite hard due to the norms of our surrounding. You only need to look at an 80's pop video to see the shape of people from the past, now what do we see?

I just hope some of these words help someone, these are my opinions based on myself are in no way designed to upset or offend.

LittleWolf

I think you simply improved your carb tolerance from 'being good'

10 is not in the diabetic range for a 1 hour and that 4.7 is amazing

It just goes to how all your hard work meant you can have a treat now and then. You've got a food system going x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, sometimes the body assimilates different things at different speeds. So for example you may have some type of carb that your body deals with slower and therefore your bloods go up slower. Further you have not put your form of control in, like insulin, metformin etc.
Metformin is also known to be unpredictable time wise, (in any case I cannot have it, apparently I have "a sensitivity to it" {note not an allergy, just sensitivity}, it really makes me seriously ill, however, not an allergy, just sensitivity!!!!)
In any case your body bits also create sugars, ie liver, kidneys and the like. Your body also can have problems with things like colds. So although you did not develop a cold, your body may have fought off an infection, more sugars!.
I have been a diabetic for 13 years now, never had a serious hypo, and my doctor reckons that I have the best control of all his patients.
My BS varies normally within my control levels of 10 but there are odd 13 when I get an infection.
My biggest problem that has taken YEARS to discover is milk and it things. If I get any in my system then goodnite Vienna for up to 3 hours and then a day really sick. Bad news, its often put into bread, many sauces etc. Some cheese also affects me, so for example cheddar or edam normally OK but Shropshire blue and I have a problem.
Incidentally cheese is very good for you as it rips out fats, my LDL HDL at the bottom end of very good (1 and about 1.5)
I also have a problem with certain wheat. In fact the bad stuff takes hours to go through, and stuffs my BS up to higher levels hours later.