Big question regarding symptoms and side effects of treatment.

desidiabulum

Metformin doesn't squeeze more insulin out of your pancreas -- that's sulfonylureas like gliclazide. Metformin is always recommended to the newly diagnosed because it can help with BGs and potentially has other health benefits (including weight loss and potentially on cancer though depends on which type of metformin). But most of all it is recommended because it is CHEAP. Like so many other people, my first few weeks after diagnosis were awful because of metformin side-effects -- it is not a great way to start coping with a new condition, but it also feeds the assumption that you just fix diabetes by taking a pill. I wish GPs would begin with a strong push on taking personal control of diabetes by rethinking diet, then introduce metformin after a couple of months if BGs are improving, to be discarded if necessary. That way it doesn't screw up the initial response.

Blade72

Thank you all for the info and links. I am going to message my Dr again today about these side effects and tell him I will not take Metformin. Whether he will suggest different medication or not I don't know.
Before I joined this forum yesterday I had very little info about low carb eating and does sound like the way to proceed. It will be a huge change for me as I've always had a sweet tooth and loved cakes, cerials, pies, potatoes, dumplings, bread, etc.
Wish me luck :)
I have had some of your side effects so can relate to this . I also at first felt a bit overwhelmed but with some research I've found I can still have some of my old food but just low carb versions. If you search keto recipes you will find recipes

Reactions: MrsA2 and EllieM

Genevie

My nurse did advise that metformin can give you loose motion’s but generally this does settle down. Personally I have bowl disease so can’t really tell the difference, rushing to the loo is my norm. I hope it settles down for you soon.