birthday cake?

hazel

does anyone have a recipe for a birthday cake that would be suitable for a 10 year old newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic :?:

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Hazel,
I would suggest as birthdays only come but once a year, let your child pick what ever cake he/she wants, just make sure he/she doesn't scoff the whole lot! Type 1 diabetes is a lot for a child to deal with, and its still early days for you. (i have a 10 yr old son T1, for almost 3yrs) If they're having a party they'll soon run it off, if not you can always combat any highs with fast acting insulin. What regime are they on? i would be happy to help any way i can, Take care
Suzi x

JimmyD

I agree we would let our 4 and half year old have the cake and inject the fast acting insulin to match the carbs

Katharine

Fergus's trifle recipe has a very good basic almond sponge cake as the base.

It can be used in it's own right as a cake. Just half the cake and put some jam/whipped cream in it for a nice Victoria sponge.

ionasix

hi, just wondered what decision you made about your sons birthday cake. my son has just been diagnosed type 1 and his birthday is on tuesday. He is finding it difficult ,( as am I !) , but looking forward to his birthday. Not sure myself about the cake situation as still trying to balance the carbs.
Thanks

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Ionasix,
Let your son pick a cake and have a slice, it really won't do him any harm, he'l probably run it off anyway, mine always does. As he's just diagnosed i know how hard it is to get your head round everything and you've every right to be apprehensive about giving him cake, it's a lot for him to deal with also. My advise is to let him pick the cake and have a slice and a have wonderful birthday. The BS will soon drop back to within normal range, so don't worry and enjoy.
Take care
Suzi x