Bit of a dilemma

nads75

Hello,

I am a 35yr old mother of 1 and also 27 wks pregnant. during my first pregnancy i developed GD at about 24 wks (noticed i was craving a lot of sweet things and work in a diabetes unit so asked the nurse to test me) Once the consultant had done his own tests i was given Insulin for the duration of the pregnancy and induced at 39 wks (gave birth naturally with slight shoulder dystocia to an 8lb baby girl).

Now 5 yrs later (and not any thinner!) and pregnant i found my blood sugars starting to creep up at about 25 wks (again got a meter and strips and check my post prandial levels). I had a OGTT carried out in work where my fasting was 4.9 and my 2 hour was 7.3. Becasue of my previous gestational my care team had me do another GTT last week (then 26wks) and i took my meter along with me to see how the results compared, it also meant id know my result early as they wont tell you for 3 days.

Anyway just before fasting i took my finger prick and the result was 4.8mmol/L and the two hour was 9.3mmol/L so i left thinking i was definalty gestional again. When i contacted the hospital for my results, they told me i was normal?? so i asked them for the values and they have 0hr as 4.5 and 2hr as 7.3?? Can capillary and venous blood really give such different results? Im sure they have mixed me up with someone else or there is an error in data input.

My blood sugar readings this week (mon and tuesday) do indicate GD:-

Before breakfast 6.3 and 6.1
2hrs after 5.6, 8.4 (Shreddies)
Before lunch 4.2, 5.3
after lunch 6.2, 10.8 (Chicken ceaser salad, Jacket with cheese/beans)

I think i should ask for a re-test?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The increase after Shreddies and Jacket potato would be normal in even non diabetics as there is a lot of carbs there.

Did you test again at about three hours to see if the levels had gone back to normal ?

You also have to remember that your meter is not as accurate as a Lab test.....it really is only good as a guide.

nads75

No ive not done a 3 hr reading sorry. I am starting a low GI diet so will be avoiding the carbs but im finding it hard to eat just protein for breakfast when all i want is toast/cereals.

Nadia