Type 2 Bit of a mystery

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again to anyone who remembers me. If your memory is THAT good you'll see I've abandoned my pipe and supercilious expression in my avatar. I am now Mischief, the next door cat.
When I began to feel properly ill with CLL I didn't bother so much with LCHF, but the low-carb philosophy has always been the foundation of what I eat. However, despite increasing numbers of "treats" (eg eating complete meals in restaurants, without omitting carby things), my official blood sugar readings have gone down.
There is a booklet about the connection between diabetes and CLL, which I've read, but neither the hospital nor the surgery are inclined to talk about it. They just look at the numbers. Apart from a couple of pints of blood early on to get my anaemia off the floor I just take 2 pills a day.
Can anyone suggest a reason for this anomaly?
It's nice to be back :happy:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could share what CLL is and maybe we could

If you are anemic it can affect the hba1c reading and make the test unreliable. The test measure glycation (sugar damage) to red blood cells over their lifetime (assumed to be 12weeks ish). If for some reason your red blood cells are not typical, as in anaemia or things like sickle cells and other rbc conditions , then the test uses fall over. In this case a test called fructosamine is more accurate. It’s also commonly used in pregnancy, when levels change quickly with a growing baby, as the time frame measured is shorter

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could share what CLL is and maybe we could
Sorry, it's in my signature which you have to toggle to see. Leukaemia, basically.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, despite increasing numbers of "treats" (eg eating complete meals in restaurants, without omitting carby things), my official blood sugar readings have gone down.
Do you test your blood glucose at home or rely on hba1c tests?
BG is still to be trusted with aneamia and blood cell conditions, hba1c is not.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind responses, which resolve the anomaly. Libre 2, when I can afford it, does record higher averages, typically around 6-7 as against 5-6 six months ago. But the Libres have always been more optimistic with their HbA1c estimates, so I just try to tread the middle path.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again to anyone who remembers me. If your memory is THAT good you'll see I've abandoned my pipe and supercilious expression in my avatar. I am now Mischief, the next door cat.
When I began to feel properly ill with CLL I didn't bother so much with LCHF, but the low-carb philosophy has always been the foundation of what I eat. However, despite increasing numbers of "treats" (eg eating complete meals in restaurants, without omitting carby things), my official blood sugar readings have gone down.
There is a booklet about the connection between diabetes and CLL, which I've read, but neither the hospital nor the surgery are inclined to talk about it. They just look at the numbers. Apart from a couple of pints of blood early on to get my anaemia off the floor I just take 2 pills a day.
Can anyone suggest a reason for this anomaly?
It's nice to be back :happy:
Don’t know how I missed your return @DeejayR
I certainly missed you in your absence.
Welcome back. Good to see you.:).

Interesting what you say about not bothering with low carbing much when you have been ill. Have been unable to tolerate much apart from toast and banana for several weeks now myself, due to health problems other than T2. Blood glucose levels generally lower than they have been. Makes me wonder if, for me at least, it is more about restricted calories, because fats - cheeses butter, meat, nuts, have been particularly unpalateable. Not suggesting the toast and banana diet for others to try, though.

• Hug
Reactions: DeejayR and Antje77