Bit of a quandary

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not necessarily but like many conditions symptoms of diabetes are similar to those of other conditions hence the blood test to confirm. I never had any symptoms of diabetes but was diagnosed after a routine blood test and confirmed 3 months later with the same result of 48 - granted just on the cusp but still diabetic. Unfortunately statins increased this figure to 54 within 6 months so there was no doubt. Looking at your stats your hba1c came down after your second hba1c which was only 2-3 months later therefore have you thought about the first hba1c test being incorrect hence why you have not been diagnosed with a condition that you probably didn’t have? Granted you were pre-diabetic but with an hba1c of 43 you were just outside of normal figures.
Looking back, it was the associated conditions that confirmed the HbA1c test result ( further confirmed by reversal of all associated conditions including HbA1c ). I didn’t know that then. But do now.

Secondary indicators can be ambiguous but given enough of them simultaneously then they can be as useful as a primary indicator.

To reiterate, my GP is in complete accordance on this. It’s good to have a good GP.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
John, I note you say your daughter is under a Dermatologist. Does she use steroids to control her skin condition perchance
No her dermatologist is very anti the prescribing of steroids and will only use them in extreme situations.

edit to add and then only for short periods.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this discussion reinforces exactly how important it is to get an actual diagnosis - where appropriate.
If we, on an internet forum, debate whether people are diabetic or not, imagine what would happen if every doctor decided to interpret things differently, and declare people D or not-D according to their own personal opinions. The results would be chaotic, and the impact on NHS finances could be dire.

As @JohnEGreen pointed out in his original post, he is concerned that the official diagnostic criteria are being ignored by his doctor - with potential implications for his daughter’s health, including foot and eye checks, and on-going monitoring.

Ed. For typo

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally went for approaching two years trying to convince unsuccessfully my then GP that a HbA1c in the low fifties was in fact a diabetic level.

When I was then diagnosed by my current GP my A1c was at 64 when he actually diagnosed me, and I said that's a bit of a kick in the teeth he said why? you've known you were diabetic for some while now.

I don't want Melody to have to fight for a diagnosis as did I.

The irony is that he is the same doctor that is telling Melody that 48 is borderline it may be but it is on the diabetic side of the border.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
John. It is a bit of a quandary.

Should I have waited another 3 months for a second reading of the same magnitude, continuing to eat the same as before? At the time I had no idea what my options might be and where they would lead to.

Basically I got the call as I was about to jump into a taxi to Manchester airport for a Christmas Holiday. I was told to cut out sugary foods. What I then did was slam on the brakes and didn’t touch anything sugary (I was of course ignorant of the effect of carbs at that point in time) until my next test 3 months later and that included the entire holiday. The next reading was of course 43. This meant I had very little support from then on in, as I was “officially” not diabetic at that surgery (I am with a different surgery now ).

Again, I reiterate, it was only lower carb higher fat diet that has dropped me out of the Prediabetes range altogether.

So ironically I can see the temptation for your daughter to carry on, get the second test done and T2 confirmed and then go lchf.

As you can see from one or two posts, nobody believes you when you haven’t got the official declaration. :D

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DawnOfTheZed

Am saddened to read of the difficulties OP's daughter and fm like @Brunneria are having with GPs. I guess it's a 'cost-saving' for the surgeries to restrict dx?

I wonder if private c-peptide blood tests might help to demonstrate Insulin Resistance? High hba1c and T2 are results of IR. If low carbing keeps the hba1c result down, the c-peptide should still be 'above normal'? NHS won't do c-peptide test without hba1c >48 result.

Reactions: JohnEGreen