Bitter Melon - one or two per day.

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am a type 2 and have recently been moved up to 4 metformin tablets per day as my last test at the doctors was 8.6. I decided to get serious and buy a meter and this has really helped. Using this and cutting down on carbs seems to be working.

I have now decided to try Bitter Melon capsules and my question is should I take the 2 per day as suggested on the bottle or try 1 a day for a week to see how I go because I am also on Metformin.

I would be grateful for any advice from people who have tried the Bitter Melon Capsules.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before you start, i would ransack the internet for possible interactions between metformin and bitter lemon.

Hopefully you won't find any, but it is a good idea to look anyway.
Most people never bother to check, but a lot of drugs (whether natural or man made) interact.

Sorry, can't advise on dosage.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am a type 2 and have recently been moved up to 4 metformin tablets per day as my last test at the doctors was 8.6. I decided to get serious and buy a meter and this has really helped. Using this and cutting down on carbs seems to be working.

I have now decided to try Bitter Melon capsules and my question is should I take the 2 per day as suggested on the bottle or try 1 a day for a week to see how I go because I am also on Metformin.

I would be grateful for any advice from people who have tried the Bitter Melon Capsules.
I have been on 2 caps per day for 3 months now. I am also on Metformin (2000g). I have to report that I have had some gastric problems during this time, but cannot say if it is the BM or the Met. I had a thread going in the Mind Body and Spirit section of this forum where I started to document my experiences with Bitter Melon. It is not up to date because I started LCHF diet, and this has muddied the waters so I was no longer able to distinguish rhe effects of BM from the diet. i am still running a relatively low bgl regime while avoiding hypo's, but am still trying to eliminate my Gliclazide meds at the moment since these are interfering by taking me into hypoland on occasions. Still trying to sort all this out, but I averaged 6.8 - 7.0 in the month of Jan and so far Feb.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before you start, i would ransack the internet for possible interactions between metformin and bitter lemon.

Hopefully you won't find any, but it is a good idea to look anyway.
Most people never bother to check, but a lot of drugs (whether natural or man made) interact.

Sorry, can't advise on dosage.
No interactions showing on webmd.com or drugs.com There is one single solitary report of atrial fibrillation attributed to BM use, but the patient had already suffered CVE previous. BM has been used in india to treat diabetes for many years now.

Reactions: 2 people