Bitter melon

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone using Bitter Melon to control BG?

Good for…What bitter melon good for

Bitter melon contains a chemical that acts like insulin to help reduce blood sugar levels. People commonly use bitter melon for diabetes, osteoarthritis, athletic performance, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

Attachments

• IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: Omar51 and jessj

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Not me.
Without “good scientific evidence to support these uses” even if I had heard of it before, which I haven’t, I probably wouldn’t spend money on it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bitter melon contains a chemical that acts like insulin to help reduce blood sugar levels. People commonly use bitter melon for diabetes, osteoarthritis, athletic performance, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
So it doesn't 'act like insulin'.

The way insulin acts is quite well understood and can be measured. If it acted like insulin there would be scientific evidence.
If this chemical would act like insulin, it would only work when being injected or inhaled, not when it's taken by mouth.

So whatever this bitter melon does or doesn't do, not this.
I don't know what your source is, but I wouldn't trust it if they write this kind of nonsense.

Do you have experience with bitter melon yourself? Did you find a difference in your BG?

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I take supplement and it does help.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Whenever I have eaten it (in soup or stir-fry) I have found my blood sugar was lower than it otherwise would be.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Where do you buy bitter melon I can't say I've ever seen it .

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I saw my doctor she mentioned that many of her patients have taken it and get great results with bitter melon. I had never heard of it. She certainly wasn’t telling them not to take it.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That's interesting. No, I haven't used it, I'd heard of it, but never seen it or so I thought. I didn't know it could be so useful either.
Actually, thank you, as I have seen it, on a smashing veg stall in the city that sells great produce with some unusual fruit & veg. I have asked twice what that nobbly courgettey thing is & both times, the guys couldn't tell me. Now I know! Depending on the weather, I'm hoping to go in tomorrow, so I'd best look it up & what you do with it. :cool:

ETA I do like trying different things no matter what they may or may not do.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I did get there, but...it was the one thing they didn't have. :arghh: There were loads of fresh, good looking plantain though, which of course, I didn't buy. So, next time!

• Informative

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I've never heard of it and laughed when i first read Bitter Melon as i thought it a typo error and should be bitter lemon which i am fond of with a gin.....lol

• Funny

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not used it in a medicinal sense but an Indian restaurant I used to go to where I lived before used to make a cracking curry with it in, it give a bit of a bitter taste and sort of a “dry” finish on the palate, you can definitely taste it in a curry and I would say it’s an acquired taste

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last time I saw my doctor she mentioned that many of her patients have taken it and get great results with bitter melon. I had never heard of it. She certainly wasn’t telling them not to take it.
Hi @Bcgirl. Is this the same doctor that reckons some of her patients get good results using berberine? If so, she's not like any doctor I've encountered here in the UK.

• Agree

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I use bitter melon at least twice a week. Slightly peel top, take the seeds out. Clean and dry. Cut into small pieces. Steam with very little olive oil in covered pan for about 10 minutes. Add chopped red onions. Steam another minute or so. I add salt and peppers. You can add any seasoning you want.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have been using it for years it does help to keep my BG down

I have been using it for years too, just like I use any cruciferous vegetable, not sure if it keeps my BG down. Thanks for sharing!