Blackseed oil---anyone with experience of this

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst on holiday this year I got talking with someone who said that he had really bad skin condition, which had for years He had been taking blackseed oil for months and had noticed a huge improvement in his skin condition.

I have read a few articles on internet about this and seemingly it is the remedy for everything except depth.

Reading the blurbs on this it claims to help with type 2 diabetes and can also assist with high blood pressure.

Now before i try this, I will try anything once, is this one big con or is it actually any good. Have you seen an improvement

Thanks

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the majority of drugs we take have side effects of some sort. From what I have been reading the positives seem to outweigh the side effects, particularly in relation to type 2 diabetes.

Just curious to know if anyone has real experience of using blackseed oil, or capsules

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My impression of Sayer Ji is that he's genuinely trying to help people. Black seed is interesting. Thanks for the introduction. I'm wary of drugs and herbs, but if I had one of the cancers discussed, I would definitely consider taking it.

I'd suggest looking at each diabetes related study individually that are referenced in the article. And I agree, herbs, like drugs, have side effects. Good to be aware of both the potential benefits and risks.

From and n=1 perspective, I'd want a baseline measurement of what I hope to improve in my diabetes prior to taking it so I could measure the results. :)

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it everyday I bought the liquid version first and gadz there's no way I could take that but now I buy it in gel capsules and there fine, I take a few different vitamins all to do with what's wrong with me

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Generally speaking if something claims to be the cure for a multitude of ailments - it's not, it's someone trying to fleece you. What is clear from evidence is that is does have some effects on your body, but they're not scientifically tested and could be dangerous. Generally speaking again, do you know what they call alternative medicine that's proven to work? - Medicine.

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it called alternative medicine? Herbs etc were here long before the pharmaceutical industry was here and I'll give you one that's works for loads of illnesses, cannabis as I personally know 3 people that have incurable cancer and one of them was given 6 months to live and after using cannabis oil and using Rick Simpson protocol that was more than 4 years ago, why do you think it's illegal and there's never been a death with cannabis ever worldwide the only way it would kill you is if a 5kg block fell from a great hight and hit you on the head

Reactions: 2 people

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been taking blackseed oil for a while now. It has made no difference to my diabetes, but has worked wonders for asthma------- I hardly use ventolin now. However not all blackseed oil is created equal--- some brands work, and some don't..

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really enjoying reading this thread. :)

I take it everyday I bought the liquid version first and gadz there's no way I could take that but now I buy it in gel capsules and there fine, I take a few different vitamins all to do with what's wrong with me

Brian, do regularly monitor your blood glucose levels? I'm wondering what if any results you've observed.

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't I just wait for my blood test and my last one my hbac1 was down from 9.9 to 7.2 and that was only 2 months not 3 I don't take any medication I've just changed my diet and take some vitamins

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There used to be a Palestinian supermarket around DC area and the proprietor told me about the stuff. Wea rea all familiar with the taste of it, since we are userd to having nigella seeds sprinkled on breads and so on and so forth. Tastes like that and I swirled it in my oatmeal in the morning. This was a period of time in which I was newly diagnosed and losing weight on a vegan diet. My internal medicine person had me eating a cup of oatmeal every morning for the fiber so I was using steel cut non GMO organic oats which I would cook into a week supply and then take a hunk of it and doctor it with something or another like butter and milk or that oil, and nuts, whatever, maybe fresh or dried fruit. i did lose weight on that diet and had no deleterious effects on the nigella oil the month and a half I took it but didn't see an appreciable difference in the blood sugars. It added a nice flavor and maybe it was healthy.

As for the side effects someone else brought up, I don't think they are much to worry about as long as you don't overdo the stuff. Where poppy seeds can give you a false positive on drug tests, these are black seeds that won't and they taste good
Non-GMO oats? Wherever did you find them? Oh Yeah, your local supermarket, because oats have never been genetically modified in the sense you mean - just the old-fashioned way in which most grain and fruit we eat has had its genome modified by breeding.

You CAN get very serious side-effects with nigella seeds:
Contra-indicated during pregnancy as it stop the uterus from contracting
Can slow down blood clotting and lead to risk of bleeding
Might lower blood sugar - causing hypos
Might lower blood pressure
Interfere with anaesthesia

The trouble with 'natural remedies' is that the dosage is variable, the mechanism by which they have an effect is poorly understood and they contain many other ingredients as well as the one that you want.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ro
@ChrisSamsDad, you're right, oats aren't GMO but they are regularly sprayed with Roundup, so in the US it's best to buy organic. I think Galja is smart to eat organic, non-GMO foods.

If interested, I came across this article yesterday...

http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/92/JOS_Volume-9_Number-2_Nov_2014-Swanson-et-al.pdf

I'm not posting this link to start a debate with you, nor to derail the topic.
Roundup, that's Glyphosate isn't it? the substance that's less poisonous than salt and safer than just about every other pesticide, including most of those used in 'Organic' farming, such as copper sulphate. Organic food is basically just a tax on the gullible.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ChrisSamsDad, science is constantly evolving. We make informed choices based on our understanding of the science. I really encourage you to read the report.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's also an issue with oats - most are processed in the same facilities as gluten so people with gluten sensitivity need to buy organic/guaranteed gluten free or they're going to suffer for it.

Another issue along the same lines - most sushi chefs apparently use flour to make the rice even stickier :eek:

I don't quite get your need to browbeat other people about their choices @ChrisSamsDad - it's almost like you're offended that not everyone sees things in the same way you do. We're all adults and capable of making up our own minds without others talking down to us like we're idiots.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And it gets worse Indy. They're now spraying oats with glyphosate prior to harvest in the US. Aren't you glad now that you gave up eating grains? I know I am.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't quite get your need to browbeat other people about their choices @ChrisSamsDad - it's almost like you're offended that not everyone sees things in the same way you do. We're all adults and capable of making up our own minds without others talking down to us like we're idiots.

It's not a matter of my "point of view" it's a matter of evidence vs ignorance & myth. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it's just that, an opinion, and it flies in the face of the facts, so don't be offended if people point that out to you. By the best available methods we have of ascertaining the actual truth (Science) Glyphosate has been proven to be safe beyond all reasonable doubt, and spreading myths and lies about it is just harming farmers, the world's starving and making people paranoid.

It pains me that there are actual scientists who have studied for years and know a huge amount about a subject and they do 'research' which is painstaking and expensive and takes time, is criticised by their peers ruthlessly to make it better, but people seem to think it's just another opinion of equal value to the one they got by reading a couple of pages on Mercola.com that confirmed the ideas they already had.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ChrisSamsDad, I spent time genuinely trying to provide info to a person on this forum literally asking for experiences with a substance, since I had that experience. You seemed to want to attack my genuine desire to provide this feedback but maybe I am misinterpreting your responses.

Because being against GMOs is insanity - especially in a diabetes forum - do you know where insulin comes from? It's anti-science, anti-humanity and as GMOs are just a technology, it doesn't even make sense, it's like being against electronics, or gears.

I'm fine by the way - if you saw me you would not describe me as 'underweight' - I'm still on the high end of 'normal BMI' - and for most of my teens and 20s I was a lot lighter than now.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And it gets worse Indy. They're now spraying oats with glyphosate prior to harvest in the US. Aren't you glad now that you gave up eating grains? I know I am.
Can I ask what evidence you've used to make you worried about Glyphosate? Of course everything's poisonous in too high a dose (including water, salt and oxygen), but Glyphosate is proven safe in reasonable doses.