bladder problems

i have been type 2 for about 10 years now i have never had any major problems although i must admit i am not as healthy as i could be,in June i had a major urinary track infection which took 2 courses of antibiotic to shift i went back to the doctor again as i was still uncomfortable and she said i had no infection but had sugar in urine.Has anyone else had this or is she fobbing me off? I have never had it before and it is still bothering me

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have been type 2 for about 10 years now i have never had any major problems although i must admit i am not as healthy as i could be,in June i had a major urinary track infection which took 2 courses of antibiotic to shift i went back to the doctor again as i was still uncomfortable and she said i had no infection but had sugar in urine.Has anyone else had this or is she fobbing me off? I have never had it before and it is still bothering me

Hello Elizabeth. I'm sorry you have been feeling so unwell.

I'm not a Health Care Professional, so when you read what I write, please do check it out for yourself on the internet, or with your Doctor.

In my understanding, in most cases, sugar in the urine is a sign your blood sugars are running really quite high (over 10, I understand). The reason your sugars might be running high is, to me anyway, not clear, but a few options would be:

In no particular order of likelihood; if we have an infection in our body our blood sugar often goes up a bit to fight the infection. Clearly I have no idea if your Doc is saying you have an infection and you have sugar present or if the infection appears to have cleared, but there is now sugar in your blood.

Secondly, if your body holding it's own or if your diet has slipped a bit, over time, and your general blood numbers have gone up, it could be you've just crossed the line between there being no sugar in your urine, to it being there. Have you had any blood tests recently?

It would probably make sense to have a think back and ask yourself if anything has changed in your way of eating and drinking of late, or if your medication has changed at all.

Thirdly, there is a class of medication sometimes used for T2 diabetes which works by flushing some of your blood sugars out of your system, via your urine. This class of medication includes Forgixa, Dapagliflozin or a few other names. If you are taking this sort of drug, it could be it slipped your Doc's mind, or again that, for whatever reason, your blood sugars are a bit anyway.

Your profile doesn't tell me which, if any, meds you take for your diabetes, but for now, it seems more questions than answers.

I'm sure others will have comment to make. I hope you feel better soon.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm sorry to hear you still have UTI symptoms. You probably do need to get further investigations done. Do you also have blood in your urine? Eg. leucocytes and/or red blood cells. My endocrinologist explained that sugar in urine usually means your sugar has been over 10 mmol. That's why they want you to stay below 10 on the meter. So you probably need to get your hbA1c done to find out what your average sugar level is.

I live with a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis which means I live with symptoms that mimic a UTI all the time. I've had the disease for years now. I have flares with it as well. I'm hoping you don't have this as it's a chronic inflammatory condition. Hopefully yours is something much easier to resolve. But as I said, please get checked if you continue to have symptoms.

I wish you the best. :)

I'm sorry to hear you still have UTI symptoms. You probably do need to get further investigations done. Do you also have blood in your urine? Eg. leucocytes and/or red blood cells. My endocrinologist explained that sugar in urine usually means your sugar has been over 10 mmol. That's why they want you to stay below 10 on the meter. So you probably need to get your hbA1c done to find out what your average sugar level is.

I live with a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis which means I live with symptoms that mimic a UTI all the time. I've had the disease for years now. I have flares with it as well. I'm hoping you don't have this as it's a chronic inflammatory condition. Hopefully yours is something much easier to resolve. But as I said, please get checked if you continue to have symptoms.

I wish you the best. :)
thank you I have also been under severe stress as my mother became ill and then died two months ago and now sorting and selling her house I don't know if that would have a bearing?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you I have also been under severe stress as my mother became ill and then died two months ago and now sorting and selling her house I don't know if that would have a bearing?

Stress usually pushes the bloods up a bit, so it may be playing it's part.

As Mep says, you're likely to be running at 10, or higher, and it sounds like it's causing you issues.

The things is, any bugs lingering or brewing in your urine will be loving the sugar it's containing, and that'll help them, or indeed any infection you have to thrive.

It probably makes sense to take a period to be tight with your diet to bring your sugars down and get it out of your urine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It must be a very stressful and distressing time.

Stress sends up blood glucose, so does eating the kind of thing you grab on the run when trying to sort out someone's estate.

Concern over your carb intake is probably the last thing you want to consider, but if you do manage to focus on bringing your blood glucose down, then I promise you will be able to cope with your grief and stress a great deal better. We sleep better, and we focus better, and we have sooooo much more energy when our blood glucose stays in the normal range.

Reactions: jacko1970s