Blister!!!

roxy44

Hi friends,

i went to a party last night and enjoyed a good dance, unknowingly i have a big blister on the outer side of my big toe, , i would say its bigger than the ned of a pencil, now when i went to the nurse when dx in may, she said something about needing to see the GP when i have blisters on my feet etc, surely this doesnt class as that??
i intend to leave it alone and hopefully it will disapear on its own,

am i doing the right thing? its seems such a trivial thing..

many thanx xxx

pianoman

First things first... if if doubt please don't hesitate to seek professional medical advice.

Your Nurse was absolutely correct that we need to pay special attention to our feet - including I'd suggest, a daily inspection... use a mirror if you have to.

Peripheral Neuropathy is a potential long-term complication of Diabetes which tends to affect the nerves at the extremities first -- furthest from our core -- and you can't get much further than the feet. The danger is in reduced sensation: such that we might not notice a stone in our shoe, a cut or sore on the sole of our foot, or how hot the bath water is.

Added to this, it seems that higher than normal BGs can lead to higher rates of infections (bugs like sugar too) that take longer to heal.

So please pay special attention to your feet and take good care of that blister. A dressing might help to protect and cushion it... but fresh air is good too. Keep it clean and dry -- but not so dry that is cracks. Intact, healthy skin is our very best shield to keep infection outside the body. No need to be paranoid... just cautious :)

roxy44

thanks so much pianoman,

who'd have thought we would have been scared of a blister lol..i have had so many over the years, but never worried over them till the nurse told me ,

i will keep a close eye on it and if i think its turning a little funny or doesnt look right i will be off to the nurse, its in such an awkward place,
thanx again xx

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I watched something on cable only last night (Pick TV)

Man was a T2 for only One year he had a blister on his big toe that started to bleed in the shower
GP gave him some cream Left it for two weeks Then went to A&E as top of the toe went black
Gang green had set in Surgeon started to remove his big toe, But the Gang green was in the bone .
So he had to take his leg off at the Knee ? :shock:

Made my wife check my feet there and then :shock:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Makes you think ,, There for the grace of god urrrrrrrrrr

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Roxy

Sounds like you had a good evening!

I would go with what Pianoman said in the post above. At least you know what caused it and you are keeping an eye on it. I would suggest trying not to let the blisters burst, as the skin intact will keep any infection out by natural methods. Should they burst, then you will need to keep them clean and dry.

Any sign of them becoming infected, would be the time to visit the Practice nurse or GP as, being diabetic, wounds can have delayed healing or be more prone to infection.

However, as Pianoman suggests, don't panic but just be careful and sensible and don't hesitate to seek professional advice should there be signs of problems.

Cheers