Blisters

Defren

Walking with the dogs today, and I have a blister on the back of my left foot. I do wear back cushioned trainers and socks when walking, to try to minimise such a thing happening.

Need I be concerned about it?

SweetHeart

Jo,

Has the blister ruptured? If not, then don't worry about it, it shouldn't become infected. If it has ruptured, clean it, apply an antiseptic and dress it. It should heal (heel!) just fine if you keep it clean. If it continues to be red, sore and tender then your GP or DSN can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream.

MH had an infected toenail last week and the DSN gave him a script for the AB cream, it healed in no time with careful cleaning and regular applications of the cream. It didn't take longer to heal as we were told wounds would with diabetes.

Ju

Defren

SweetHeart said:
Jo,

Has the blister ruptured? If not, then don't worry about it, it shouldn't become infected. If it has ruptured, clean it, apply an antiseptic and dress it. It should heal (heel!) just fine if you keep it clean. If it continues to be red, sore and tender then your GP or DSN can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream.

MH had an infected toenail last week and the DSN gave him a script for the AB cream, it healed in no time with careful cleaning and regular applications of the cream. It didn't take longer to heal as we were told wounds would with diabetes.

Ju

Hi Jules,

It had already burst when I got home. It's not painful and has dried up. I did give it a wee clean, and as it was caused by my clean sock and trainer rubbing, I thought I am probably safer than someone who stands on something. I don't (think) I have any neuropathy in my feet, and my circulation does seem fine. I am just wondering, should I phone the GP or see if it begins to heal. I don't want to seem a fuss pot over a blister.

emmatree

I think it's easy to panic when we are told we must look after our feet, but I would think the advice I've read before, which is to keep the wound clean and use some antiseptic cream would be sufficient. I assume if you suffer from neuropathy and loss of feeling there is much more to be careful and concerned about, but I'm sure you'll be fine and healed in a few days.

Defren

emmatree said:
I think it's easy to panic when we are told we must look after our feet, but I would think the advice I've read before, which is to keep the wound clean and use some antiseptic cream would be sufficient. I assume if you suffer from neuropathy and loss of feeling there is much more to be careful and concerned about, but I'm sure you'll be fine and healed in a few days.

Hi Emma, I have no loss of feeling at all, or any circulation problems with my feet, and as I did clean it and put antiseptic on it, I'm sure it will all be fine. I suppose I just wanted a little reassurance rather than run to the GP with a blister.

Looks like new trainers are needed, and perhaps an elastoplast on the back of my feet from now on, just to be on the safe side.