1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bloating

Discussion in 'Type 3c (Pancreatic) Diabetes' started by The_Petal, Apr 30, 2019.

1. The_Petal

The_Petal Type 1 · Member

I had the full Whipple last year with everything out (gall bladder/spleen and Pancreas) last year and have just finished a six month course of Folfirinox which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

My scans were Ok last week and go back in 3 months.

The problem is that I now have a grossly inflated stomach which looks like I have a basket ball inside my dress and seems larger than when when I was pregnant ! Any recommendations on how to get it down ~ I have just started taking diuretics as my feet are very swollen.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh dear, The_Petal, that sounds very uncomfortable. I have no suggestions for you, but I wanted to bump your thread up the lists a bit, for better visibility to folks coming home from work, who may have experience.

3. JohnH2019

JohnH2019 Prediabetes · Active Member

Sorry to read this.

Have you been checked for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) or yeast overgrowth (Candida)? If not, testing and tackling might be worth pursuing.

What type and amounts of pancreatic enzymes are you taking and when during the meals?

What type of diet are you following for food and beverage? What is your water quality like?

4. nicky-52

nicky-52 Type 1 · Newbie

Oh how I feel for you! I had the same nearly four years ago and can’t get the professionals to take me seriously as they’d rather me be overweight due to my history. Diet doesn’t seem to make any difference and gradually the distension has affected my ability to exercise, exacerbating the problem. One GP told me I had IBS, and gave me Peptac . . . Obviously it wasn’t effective and I now look well past my due date! Are you now insulin dependent diabetic? I wonder if there’s a link. Would love to know if you manage to resolve this. All the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

What I found to help is a diuretic taken everyday and more pain free walking and at my pace not anyone else's. Warm swimming pool stretches and under water movement as often as possible too. Less carbs but plenty of protein can change the water dynamics.
    Drinking just water often rather than coffee or tea (or diet drinks with caffeine in).

If you only do water only drinking inbetween food and not with a meal it helped me enormously. I lost my waterbed like stomach.
    I think unsalted veg or salad helped too. All full of natural water.
    My IBS kicks off swellings but once rehydrated with minerals again it goes.

6. The_Petal

The_Petal Type 1 · Member

Still suffering with incredible bloating, the only thing stopping my stomach getting any larger is that my ribs are in the way, also feet and legs look like they should be on an elephant! it's all painful.
    So looking for a cause, I have been on daily tinzaparin injections for the last year could they cause it?

Edited by Mod

• Hug Hug x 1
    #6 The_Petal, May 13, 2019 at 11:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

How much insulin do you need @The_Petal?

8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm suffering more with thrush than bloating, currently. So don't know if Dapagliflozin tablet which overwork my kidneys helps. What is tinzaparin for?

9. Cana

Cana Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dapagluflizin side effects include thrush.

They also increase dehydration so that could be making you feel bloated.

I’m on it and I don’t really get that boated feeling anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I have less bloating on Dapagliflozin as my kidneys are encouraged to expel glucose filled urine; quicker. Glucosed urine is causing my unbearable thrush.
    As a young child I suffered the same horrendous thrush. Worse in bed.

11. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

The_Petal - It looks like you're on a blood thinner? If that is the case, you really do need to keep close to your medical team to try to get things balanced out a bit.

Please seek medical advice.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook