Blood donations

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The best way is to ring and ask for a print out. The receptionist should be able to help you. You can also ask for a print out of the previous results. If you are in England you could also ask if your surgery puts test results on line as they are supposed to do, and how to register for this service.
I will, thank you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cholesterol ratio that is the most important is the trigs/HDL, which ideally should be under 0.87. Yours is well under at 0.58, so that is brilliant. Your HDL is ideal and your trigs are within the normal range. The only fly in the ointment is your LDL, but as your HDL and trigs are good, your LDL most likely has a lot of the big fluffy particles that do no damage. It is the small dense ones that can cause problems. Please have a read of some of @bulkbiker 's thread
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

It could take you a few days and lots of coffee to get through it, but those videos are well worth watching.

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The cholesterol ratio that is the most important is the trigs/HDL, which ideally should be under 0.87. Yours is well under at 0.58, so that is brilliant. Your HDL is ideal and your trigs are within the normal range. The only fly in the ointment is your LDL, but as your HDL and trigs are good, your LDL most likely has a lot of the big fluffy particles that do no damage. It is the small dense ones that can cause problems. Please have a read of some of @bulkbiker 's thread
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

It could take you a few days and lots of coffee to get through it, but those videos are well worth watching.
That's very reassuring - thank you for explaining! I will certainly watch the videos.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How are your levels now?
I was struggling to get mine lower than 7or 8's. 13th day now for me since donating blood. Today I'm getting levels of six and just hit the higher 5's. They're not quite as low as pre donation, but coming down all the same.
There is no sign of me coming down with something so I am taking my blood donation had a big part to play in elevated glucose level.
It will be interesting to see if the same happens when I donate again. I will definitely make sure I have my HbA1c before donation in the future.

Reactions: steph81170

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
How are your levels now?
I was struggling to get mine lower than 7or 8's. 13th day now for me since donating blood. Today I'm getting levels of six and just hit the higher 5's. They're not quite as low as pre donation, but coming down all the same.
There is no sign of me coming down with something so I am taking my blood donation had a big part to play in elevated glucose level.
It will be interesting to see if the same happens when I donate again. I will definitely make sure I have my HbA1c before donation in the future.
Hi - 12 days post-donation for me and levels, like yours, coming down slowly (I keep forgetting to test . . .) but I've had six and high fives, like you! I've got a cough at the moment so levels will be higher now. Have booked for my next donation in November - good idea to have the next HBA1C before that, as you say.