Blood Donor

Milly11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone advise me on this. I've been a blood donor for tears but as newly diagnosed diabetic it is now bothering me. I feel a bit daft so don't want to bother the Dr or nurses, but can I still donate blood? I'm taking 1000mg of metaformin twice daily so don't k ow if I should Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://my.blood.co.uk/knowledgebase/Index/D

Diabetes Type 2 : Diabetes

If you are under investigations then please check again after these have been completed.

You may donate as long as

EITHER you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (abnormal blood sugar) or gestational (pregnancy) diabetes as long as you do not require treatment at present
OR your diabetes is controlled by diet alone
OR You are taking the same dose of the same medication for 4 weeks or more either orally or injectable medication such as Exenatide or Liraglutide and feeling fit and well and you must make sure that NONE of the following apply. If the following apply we are sorry but you are unable to donate.

You need regular insulin treatment
You have needed treatment with insulin within the last 4 weeks
You have suffered from Heart Failure
You are under investigation, on treatment or under follow up for renal (kidney) impairment
You have had ulcers or wounds related to a loss of sensation
You have had amputation or blood vessel surgery
You have problems with feeling faint, fainting or giddiness

If you have had gangrene then please call us to discuss on 0300 123 23 23

Please always mention medication you are taking to the staff at session

Reactions: Milly11

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you're not on insulin and don't have complications, you should be fine.

Milly11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I'm on metafmin twice daily & have been since mid March. It's taken a few months to get my sugar levels down. It's been a slow process. I was blue lighted by ambulance to hospital with chest pain & difficulty in breathing. Turned out to be pancreatitus. My blood sugar levels peaked at 29.7, I'm now hovering between 7 & 10.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Type O is the most called for ... and you're a saint for giving it .... but you and your health come first so remember that :)

Reactions: Milly11

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I'm on metafmin twice daily & have been since mid March. It's taken a few months to get my sugar levels down. It's been a slow process. I was blue lighted by ambulance to hospital with chest pain & difficulty in breathing. Turned out to be pancreatitus. My blood sugar levels peaked at 29.7, I'm now hovering between 7 & 10.
As long as you meet the criteria in the post by @bulkbiker above, I believe you are allowed to give blood. The criteria are designed to ensure that blood donation is not unduly risking the health of the donor. Both for humanitarian reasons and because it wouldn't make sense for the NHS to encourage donation and then have to spend lots of time and money fixing up a problem caused by it. They have to look at it as millions of people, not an individual who may be fine in the end.

Sorry to hear you had pancreatitis, it is one of the worst things anyone can have. I have not had it but am at increased risk because the gallstones I have are small enough (as I understand it) to leave the gallbladder and get lodged in the pancreatic duct(s), if I am very unlucky. I am on a waiting list for gallbladder removal.

I hope you are in the clear now and getting better.

Milly11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jenny. I had emergency gallbladder removal due to it almost splitting due to gall stones. I wasn't even aware I had them until 1 moved & passed through the pancreas. Both myself & my daughter have had our gallbladder removed & we are both susceptible to pancreatitus. I've had it 3 times which I have been told is responsible for my type 2, as the pancreas is slow at releasing insulin & my body has built up a resistance x