Blood glucose during pregnancy, help!

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 11 weeks with my first pregnancy currently and I have been struggling in the first trimester with hypos due to nausea and food aversions, and my HbA1c came back as 27 (4.7) at the moment which counts as a non diabetic result.

My new endocrinologist says this is way too low which is understandable as the control I have right now is very tight, however I thought that it was the general idea during pregnancy? Until last year I was at a different hospital and the endocrinologist there really made me fearful about high blood sugar in pregnancy, leading to me waiting longer than I wanted to even try for a baby as I was so nervous I’d mess up. All the nurses I’ve spoken to say my control should be really really tight or I will cause harm to a baby if I got pregnant.

My new endocrinologist is much kinder, and has set the range for my blood sugars between 4-8, I am keeping it within these boundaries, but of course am having more lows due to first trimester. He says I need to be able to let it go more, but due to my last endocrinologist putting so much fear into me about going out of range, I’m really confused and still worried about letting my blood sugar go above 8.

I guess what I’m asking is what does he mean by ‘letting it go more’, surely any spikes above the range is potentially harmful? Or did my last endocrinologist scare me way too much…any advice or experiences to share would be helpful here because he isn’t happy with my HbA1c being as low as it is. I also think maybe he isn’t understanding that most of it is due to the fact I’ve really been struggling with keeping food down? I did try to explain that but the response stayed the same.

I’m generally just confused, trying my best to eat, and am unsure about what is safe for my baby…all I get told is it’s too low and to let it go. Unfortunately I don’t have a midwife yet and won’t be having my first scan until 13 weeks, so I don’t really have anyone else to talk to!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Pipp

RobbinsNess

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh hun, Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had gestational diabetes which was completely out of control even taking the insulin. To the extent that my diabetic nurse & doctor said”just do your best, but if I get near a 2 go straight to hospital”. It’s not easy. But you already know that. It will get better. Just take it 1 meal at a time. Which for me was hard cheese or yogurt. Oh the morning / all day sickness. Big hugs