Type 2 Blood glucose levels

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, After being diagnosed 2 weeks ago my bloods taken at the surgery were 17.9 mmol today I’ve just received my meter and done my first measurement at home, before my evening meal, and it was 14...I’m new to all this and was wondering with good diet and lower carbs how long does it take to get your BG down to acceptable levels ?? I’m still waiting on my first diabetic nurse appointment so not on any meds...yet

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, After being diagnosed 2 weeks ago my bloods taken at the surgery were 17.9 mmol today I’ve just received my meter and done my first measurement at home, before my evening meal, and it was 14...I’m new to all this and was wondering with good diet and lower carbs how long does it take to get your BG down to acceptable levels ?? I’m still waiting on my first diabetic nurse appointment so not on any meds...yet
Hi Mike- welcome to the forum. Everyone is different but if this helps....my Hubby was diagnosed in June with the same BG as yourself and immediately adopted the low carb diet, cutting out potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, reducing cereal, stopping cakes/biscuits/chocolate/fruit juice/starchy root veg etc and he found that his BG quickly began to drop. He is 4 months from diagnosis and his levels now are between 7-9 so he is getting there.

However it isn't just what you eat that spikes blood glucose, stress, lack of sleep, illness, vigorous exercise can also elevate levels. It's a tricky balance to achieve. He doesn't take meds (although they were prescribed) Do have a good read around on the forum for dietary advice and test yourself before you eat and 2 hours afterwards to see how your body responds to different foods. Don't expect to be given accurate dietary advice from the DN-you will be much better off asking here. Great bunch of friendly helpful people here on the forum.:)

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mike- welcome to the forum. Everyone is different but if this helps....my Hubby was diagnosed in June with the same BG as yourself and immediately adopted the low carb diet, cutting out potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, reducing cereal, stopping cakes/biscuits/chocolate/fruit juice/starchy root veg etc and he found that his BG quickly began to drop. He is 4 months from diagnosis and his levels now are between 7-9 so he is getting there.

However it isn't just what you eat that spikes blood glucose, stress, lack of sleep, illness, vigorous exercise can also elevate levels. It's a tricky balance to achieve. He doesn't take meds (although they were prescribed) Do have a good read around on the forum for dietary advice and test yourself before you eat and 2 hours afterwards to see how your body responds to different foods. Don't expect to be given accurate dietary advice from the DN-you will be much better off asking here. Great bunch of friendly helpful people here on the forum.:)

Thanks for that. Yes I am finding this forum invaluable at the moment

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi mike I lowered my HbA1c from 65 to 51in 3months, bg numbers dropped to single numbers within 2weeks

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi Mike if you go onto home page and click on Newley Diagnosed the information is all there for you daisy1 is the one who sends out this information to newbies but there is lots of information on here to help you and people will answer all your questions. Good luck K