Blood glucose levels

Gillianc23

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Is there a guide to what the BG level should be just before going to sleep? Also, when you eat a meal, does it matter how high your BG reaches, or does it just have to be below 7.8 2 hours after starting?

These points aren’t mentioned on the Diabetes website. Thanks.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is there a guide to what the BG level should be just before going to sleep? Also, when you eat a meal, does it matter how high your BG reaches, or does it just have to be below 7.8 2 hours after starting?

These points aren’t mentioned on the Diabetes website. Thanks.
Also, what should be the baseline for a reading before a meal?
There is no baseline or guide.
So much can alter your pre meal levels and it doesn't have to be food. Any number of things!
Why, because it is so individual.
Depending on your hba1c, your fasting levels and your pre meal levels , the two hours reading should (not must) be no more than two mmols higher than pre meal.
But then again, it is dependent on what you are looking for. You could be trying to find your spike after food, so you can keep an eye on that. This is usually around the one hour (ish, before or after my spike is regularly at around 45 minutes.)
If you do get higher than two mmols after two hours, then there was something in that meal, your body cannot tolerate. Or it is too much of a portion size, to spike you too high! It is an important part of (pre)diabetes. To know how to use your monitor is so important. And can have such an effective treatment for your health. Rather than meds.
Food and drink have an impact on your blood glucose levels, the importance of how much carbs and sugars you can tolerate, is something that you should learn to control and discover which foods spike you too high. Spikes you need to avoid
As I said to start it is so individual and something that helped me so much for controlling my condition was a food diary, to log everything in your day. It can be so enlightening, and will also help your doctor, with your blood test results, can if he understands your results, what is happening.
Best wishes, keep asking.

• Informative
Reactions: Gillianc23 and JAT1