Blood glucose meters which are the best?

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
abbotts FREESTLE FREEDOM LITE test meter its brilliant thing simple to use ive had no problems at all with it .

sianee7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-check mobile is without doubt the most easiest one I have had!! I got that free through Facebook and even messaged them aasking for a spare one and they sent it out the next day. They are great :) much easier for when I'm at work and at home running around after the kids!

Kerry-Michelle

i have a frestyle optimum neo, which was given to me in hospital last month when my pancreas stopped working, and as i approach the dinosaur status of my life, i find it very easy to use, and i like the fact that you can rip the foil off the test strips in such a way that you never need to touch them with bare hands, so as not to give false readings

I went to my 6month check up last Thursday and they have me the same meter the Freestyle Optimum Neo got a few niggles about this meter with it not having a backlight so when I check during the night of I'm feeling low I can't see it and end up waking the other half up with the bedside light.. Also having a little trouble with the lancet I've got it on 4 and a half just to try and get blood out of my finger doesn't always go well on such a high number on the lancet my old lancet used to be on 2 and I'd bleed perfectly with that one.. Upside is it takes the same lancet needles and testing strips as my old one..

Was quite happy I was told I had lost 13.5lbs since my last visit but unfortunately my hba1c was up at 10% again :( I was at 8% but the nurses want me to start a different insulin course on levemir? (Sorry if I've got it wrong) they want to change it because they think I'm having lows while I'm sleeping at night and my body is treating it and then I'm waking up with really high blood sugars in the morning..

I start my Dafne course in July and they said it's best to change the insulin now as they most probably would change it while I'm on the course so it gives me a few months to get used to it..

I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely sunshine :)

All the best to everyone :)

Kerry xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kerry you might want to try switching to twice daily Lantus instead of twice daily Levemir. Especially if you are already on Lantus.

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, nearly getting a headache reading all the options on here - hehe :D

I'm on Freestyle Optium. Neo, and my only complaint is that the pouch is a little too bulky for my liking. Maybe it's time to invest in a man bag :woot:

Kerry-Michelle

Kerry you might want to try switching to twice daily Lantus instead of twice daily Levemir. Especially if you are already on Lantus.

Spiker I am currently on Insuman basal 8 units every evening as my background insulin and they've changed it to levemir but apparently they want to see if just the one nightly injection will be okay or an am and pm.. When firstly diagnosed I was on 10units of basal am and pm then after my honeymoon phase they dropped it to 15 units pm then 10-12units and now 8 units but my sugars aren't in my opinion that great and even the nurses have said they're still a little too high.. I've struggled since my honeymoon phase like others have I would assume.. But I am only two years into this and some say I'm doing well being young and still newly-ish diagnosed hopefully all will come down a bit after this Dafne course.. I'm really looking forward to it :)

Kerry xx

Kerry-Michelle

Wow, nearly getting a headache reading all the options on here - hehe :D

I'm on Freestyle Optium. Neo, and my only complaint is that the pouch is a little too bulky for my liking. Maybe it's time to invest in a man bag :woot:

The Neo just and only just fits in my clip fresh box that I have my needles, medicine and pens in that I need on a daily basis, I've thought of buying a bigger box but I've already got everything but the kitchen sink in my handbag haha!

How do you get on with the lancet?

Kerry xx

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Neo just and only just fits in my clip fresh box that I have my needles, medicine and pens in that I need on a daily basis, I've thought of buying a bigger box but I've already got everything but the kitchen sink in my handbag haha!

How do you get on with the lancet?

Kerry xx

I get on ok with it, but don't really know anything else at the mo. Smaller bag and pouch would be a big advantage :)

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
My favourite is also the accucheck mobile. I've run out of cassettes (strips) for it at the moment and call the chemist too late so am using one of my other ones. I'm finding it a real fuss compared the mobile! Roll on Monday :)

I agree - the Accu-Chek Mobile is great. It takes cartridges of 50 tests, but you need to plan to have enough. I love the blood lancet pen that attaches to the meter. That takes cassettes of 6 sharps, which are sealed in to a cylindrical unit. Because it attaches to the meter the lancet and meter are always together, and easy to find. You may find your doctor does not love it so much - the cassette of tests, and the mobile sharps units are expensive. Sensible doctors will realize that it is worth the money in terms of the control it gives you. I love it..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 50 test cassette for the Mobile is the same price per test basically as the 17 strip drum on the Compact Plus that my doc has been shelling out for for years now.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Hi guys I hope you are all well :)

I entered a few competitions and won some different blood glucose monitors one of them is a Bayer Contour Next USB and the other is a OneTouch Verio IQ.. I was wondering if any of you guys use either both or one of these and could give me any info regarding them.

Hi Kerry
I have a contour next usb tester which I like a lot. It seems reliable and simple to use.But it is expensive to test with this. If you are type 1 your won't pay but if you are type 2 it will cost a lot to buy test strips and lances.
If cost is a consideration then consider price. Another member of the forum has recommended the code free tester as cheaper to run but I haven't checked it out yet.
Good Luck
Miriam

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.

Reactions: 2 people

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went to my 6month check up last Thursday and they have me the same meter the Freestyle Optimum Neo got a few niggles about this meter with it not having a backlight so when I check during the night of I'm feeling low I can't see it and end up waking the other half up with the bedside light.. Also having a little trouble with the lancet I've got it on 4 and a half just to try and get blood out of my finger doesn't always go well on such a high number on the lancet my old lancet used to be on 2 and I'd bleed perfectly with that one.. Upside is it takes the same lancet needles and testing strips as my old one..

Was quite happy I was told I had lost 13.5lbs since my last visit but unfortunately my hba1c was up at 10% again :( I was at 8% but the nurses want me to start a different insulin course on levemir? (Sorry if I've got it wrong) they want to change it because they think I'm having lows while I'm sleeping at night and my body is treating it and then I'm waking up with really high blood sugars in the morning..

I start my Dafne course in July and they said it's best to change the insulin now as they most probably would change it while I'm on the course so it gives me a few months to get used to it..

I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely sunshine :)

All the best to everyone :)

Kerry xxx

Have you tried any of the Accu-Chek meters? The Aviva nano is great. It is small and very easy to read, even in poor light. it has a bright screen, which is very clear, and the 'Multiclix' lancing device is the best available having six lancets in a cartridge. This meter uses the standard Aviva test strips (as used by about three or four of their meters). I am now using the Aviva Expert meter as I am about to get a pump, and this meter advises me on my bolus insulin requirements. I also have the Contour Next USB which i was using before my hospital gave me the Aviva expert. I found this meter to be one of the best i have ever used. It is quick to use and I can connect it to my laptop. It automatically installs its own software (which is installed into the meters memory). You can then print your results for your doctor, which is very useful. I have found with my Aviva Expert, I have had to obtain 'Accu-Chek's' 360 software, and it took ages to install.

Last edited by a moderator:

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Kerry
I have a contour next usb tester which I like a lot. It seems reliable and simple to use.But it is expensive to test with this. If you are type 1 your won't pay but if you are type 2 it will cost a lot to buy test strips and lances.
If cost is a consideration then consider price. Another member of the forum has recommended the code free tester as cheaper to run but I haven't checked it out yet.
Good Luck
Miriam

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.
Hi Miriam that Bayer Contour Next is my favorite meter. You can buy the strips for a discount on Amazon ... Just need to make sure you buy the Contour Next strips not the Contour strips