Blood glucose monitors and equipment

AT3283

Hi all,

I'm a Student Nurse and wondered if anyone could help me with a query I have please? It's regarding self- blood glucose monitoring equipment.

First of all, upon diagnosis of diabetes, are you supplied with a blood glucose monitor? Or do you have to buy it yourself from a chemist?

Also, where do you get replacement testing strips and lancets? Do you have to contact the manufacturer or can you get them free on prescription from pharmacies?

Also, where do you get replacement batteries for the machines?

I'd be very grateful for any help anyone could provide? I've searched the internet for these answers, but the information seems quite patchy.

Thank you.

Anne

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diabetics on insulin seem to get monitors OK.Type 2 on no medication and even some on Metformin do not seem to get monitors so easily!It's a bit of a postcode lottery whether you are given a monitor by your GP/Nurse.I had to buy mine and I had to buy the test strips and lancets for a while but now get them prescribed.If you look up the NICE guidelines this is hopefully set to change in April.I have not had to replace the batteries yet so I don't know about that.

Knowledge is the key to control

I am type 2 and bought my own monitor. I was prescribed the strips and lancets for which I am very grateful as the strips cost approx. £25! (They are prbably more than that now). The diabetic nurse prescribed them for me without being asked. There was some kind of offer with the batteries but they are cheap anyway so I just bought some when the originals ran out.

StaffieLady

I wasnt given a meter, but I was given a form to hand to the pharmacist to get the VAT knocked off the price.
Until I was prescribed medication, I had to pay for the new strips.

I have had no arguments regarding getting replacement strips, but I do get the odd question about, how many times I test.

Linda

Type 2 for 5 years

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given a meter on diagnosis (type 2 taking Metformin) at my GPs. Test strips and lancets are on NHS presciption. I was given a sharps bin by the PCT. I was taking my BG twice a day at first but now only a couple of times a week. People who's BG is stable and are not taking meds that make them prone to hypos do not need to take it frequently. I was told not to worry about the batteries as they last for many years and just to bring it back if or when the battery runs down.

There seem to be a great deal of variation dependent on where you live and at different GP practises.

Rob T2

civ

Hi, I was given the equipment ( ultra touch 2) free by the diabetes clinic. told to test three-four times day to see whats going on. I have been told I am type 2 as they had to do a blood test to find out which took weeks to come back. They had to do this as I had all the signs of both types, high ketones, very high BG 20-30. lost loads of weight etc. as for the test strips i just pop in to my gp and get them on prescription. no questions asked, if i need them i need them.
as for the batteries with the ultra touch I get free batteries for life and control from the man u of the machine.

civ

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Anne

Just wondered why you wanted to know. Are you going to be a guardian angel to all of us who cannot get free strips/lancets - that would be good.

Regards Val