Blood Glucose testing

Gill P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are times when I do not have access to wash my hands prior to BG testing. Can anyone recommend a wipe that can be purchased instead please?

Thank you

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are times when I do not have access to wash my hands prior to BG testing. Can anyone recommend a wipe that can be purchased instead please?

Thank you
You can use an alcohol swab as needed. I usually don’t wash my hands prior to a finger prick but if I have any doubts I’ll do that or use a swab if I’m out. Infections are unlikely but still possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My main reasons for washing my hands before a test
1) I've been out in the garden and they are muddy
2) I've just had to eat a glucose tablet and I can't remember which hand I used to handle it...:)
3)I don't believe the result I just got.

Having said that, it's good practice to do so, I'm just lazy.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can use an alcohol swab as needed. I usually don’t wash my hands prior to a finger prick but if I have any doubts I’ll do that or use a swab if I’m out. Infections are unlikely but still possible.
Alcohol swabs can affect the result though can't they? I'm sure I've read on here before that the alcohol causes a lower BG reading than it actually is. Obviously it's a good idea to use them if your hands are particularly dirty though, or maybe just a wet wipe?

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^ I haven’t heard about that. The alcohol evaporates pretty quickly in any case.

Gill P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for all of the replies. I thought that alcohol wipes could affect BS hence I also wondered whether you can purchase small individual water wipes.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol swabs can affect the result though can't they? I'm sure I've read on here before that the alcohol causes a lower BG reading than it actually is. Obviously it's a good idea to use them if your hands are particularly dirty though, or maybe just a wet wipe?

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was told by consultant when first diagnosed in hospital not to use alcohol wipes, I don’t often wash my hands before testing, if you think you are going to need to wipe your finger when out and about I sometimes put a dampened square of paper towel in a little sealed plastic bag in my test kit, but only if I think I’m going to need it.

In todays climate hopefully everyone is still washing their hands and using sanitizer frequently enough anyway

Reactions: sleepster

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You need diawipes little packets of wipes that you can carry in your case or purse. Absolutely recommend.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After eight years of fingerpricking I have found that a small high mound of blood is best, and I dip the test strip 'end' at the top of it means I don't have to worry about clean fingers (ie no skin contact, just the blood, pure albeit sugary blood). Although, like EllieM - when I can't believe the result I will go off and give my fingers a good cleaning and retest. (I have to say though - the BG result is the same!)