Type 1 Blood glucose

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
can you link me some good info on dosing for protein please, ive just overhauled my entire approach after failing for years on my old system and know nothing about dosing for protein, i have always been told by med pros that it is free from carbs, but that would explain my spikes if this is not the case.
I’ve had to work out my own personal strategy, but a good starting point is to dose for the protein content of your meat/fish at half your carb ratio. For example my evening carb ratio is 1u:10g so if I have white fish I dose at 1u:20g of actual protein, and extend it over two hours on my pump. You can do similar by injecting the dose over two hours to mimic the effect. It means lots of tiny injections, if you’re on MDI but it does get rid of that slow rise. Some people have found they need different ratios and timings for different proteins and even different cuts of the same animal. Personally, I don’t eat meat, just fish and eggs. I need to dose for lean fish, but not fatty fish, eggs or cheeses, although many do. Everyone has to experiment on their body and see what works, there’s no one size fits all solution, I’m afraid.

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.
I’ve had to work out my own personal strategy, but a good starting point is to dose for the protein content of your meat/fish at half your carb ratio. For example my evening carb ratio is 1u:10g so if I have white fish I dose at 1u:20g of actual protein, and extend it over two hours on my pump. You can do similar by injecting the dose over two hours to mimic the effect. It means lots of tiny injections, if you’re on MDI but it does get rid of that slow rise. Some people have found they need different ratios and timings for different proteins and even different cuts of the same animal. Personally, I don’t eat meat, just fish and eggs. I need to dose for lean fish, but not fatty fish, eggs or cheeses, although many do. Everyone has to experiment on their body and see what works, there’s no one size fits all solution, I’m afraid.
How the hell do you fit such a regime around para training, does the omnipod make the whole process easier? i struggle at the best of times and spend a lot of my mental energy trying to stay out of burnout, my fluctuations make it very difficult to get any kind of reliable control and i have been dealing with this on my own since i was 10 when i took over my own regime. im riddled with complications now, i have so many bad habits and behaviors to reverse/unlearn and have had very bad experiences with the db clinics and nurses, which seem to continue, i recently waited 2 1/2 years to see an endo and got 10 mins with them and haven't heard from them since. is this normal? do i need to get more assertive in my demanding of treatment options and clinic visits?
sorry to bombard with questions but you seem to know your **** and the medical services..

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How the hell do you fit such a regime around para training, does the omnipod make the whole process easier? i struggle at the best of times and spend a lot of my mental energy trying to stay out of burnout, my fluctuations make it very difficult to get any kind of reliable control and i have been dealing with this on my own since i was 10 when i took over my own regime. im riddled with complications now, i have so many bad habits and behaviors to reverse/unlearn and have had very bad experiences with the db clinics and nurses, which seem to continue, i recently waited 2 1/2 years to see an endo and got 10 mins with them and haven't heard from them since. is this normal? do i need to get more assertive in my demanding of treatment options and clinic visits?
sorry to bombard with questions but you seem to know your **** and the medical services..
The pump makes life infinitely easier, because you can programme in extended boluses. So I’d dose for my carbs as I was sitting down to eat, and then do a second protein dose. You can split it by percentage, but it’s less maths to do two separate ones! Now I have my artificial pancreas thing set up, it tends to take care of the protein rise itself, I just need to tell it about carbs.
My team are great - I go every four to six months and get all the time I need, plus email and phone contact. But when I go I treat it like a business meeting almost. I decode what I want to ask for, print all my requests and reasoning out and give them an agenda! So far I’ve got everything I’ve asked for. Before I got to grips with the diabetes, I’d just turn up, not take a meter, get a telling off and I’d leave. Being proactive has made a huge difference.