1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Blood glucose

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jed.s, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM.

1. Jed.s

Jed.s Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know how this feels - sometimes it's easier not to eat. It's is all about learning how to insulin dose for normal eating. I'm on a DAFNE course next week to help. Are there any courses where you are?

3. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

@ert and @Jed.s it may feel as if it is easier not to eat but you need to remember to look after all of you not just the diabetes part.
    Learning to calculate dosing really helps.
    But so does accepting we cannot always control diabetes. Flat lines are not possible all the time - people without diabetes have peaks into 9+.

I probably sound like a stuck record but, for me, the most important word about diabetes is balance - balancing your BG with life and balancing the amount of time and effort you spend on diabetes management with the amount of time you spend living.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It has been mentioned that even non diabetics spike and dip throughout the day, they don't have a libre to look at or be aware that they do have bumpy blood sugars. But their insulin response is another story. My graph looks like I've been wild all night - spikes and dips. You can only do your best when it comes to managing your condition, and it's easier to dip your head in the sand, not eat so you don't have to care about yourself. @Jed.s if you're not feeling 100%, please do speak with someone, anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jed.s

@ert I don’t have any courses where I am, @helensaramay I understand what you’re saying, but sometimes it’s easier to just stop eating completely, so that your blood levels stay level, I know that’s dangerous, but there is really no other way unless you eat like carrots all the time, but even carrots have a lot of carbs, everything has carbs and even eating with no carbs, isn’t safe because we need carbs as much as they end up becoming the problem, even when we need them to survive. @MeiChanski I have a lovely girlfriend I can talk to and trust with all my heart, sadly though. Recently our relationship saw a struggle, when I started talking to other people I feel horrible typing this right now but I wasn’t seeing her enough and then, when I thought I’d lose her I thought it’d be a good idea to act out, even more and got drunk, and smoked right in front of her, I am such a f***ing idiot I got this, lovely, beautiful girl standing right in front of me running for me , and I run the other way, all because I couldn’t face her after she had found out, I had been talking to other people I’m such an ass to do that to her she drives hours to see me, and on top of it I upset my sick mother who does absolutely f***ing everything for me and I just tell her to f**k off like who the hell was I to say that to my loving mother it’s all been a bit hard that’s not even the half of it but yea I have my girlfriend to talk to and I can assure you I will not talk to people again because I couldn’t bare to lose her I will break completely my life has been so much better with her and I’ve only realised that now I have no idea why she forgave me but she said because she loves me I’m sorry Rose I love you too babe please don’t leave me

6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

meat doesn't.

7. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

this is actually good information, its means that your basal is more or less doing its job.....

this makes establishing the correct ratios much easier.....;)

• Winner Winner x 3
    #7 novorapidboi26, Aug 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 3:34 PM
  8. Jed.s

True

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jed.s

@novarapidboi26 it’s only stayed beautifully steady cause I didn’t eat a thing

10. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I realise that....but it means that you can confidently say the issues that you have when eating normally are down to the dose and delivery of your bolus...so easy to fix....

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. helensaramay

There is another way - take your insulin with your food.
    Starving yourself is not the solution.
    If you are having problems maintain BG between 4 and 10 whilst eating, you need to urgently talk to your diabetes team.
    There are people who have had type 1 diabetes for 50+ years and still going. They have not done so through starving themselves or only eating meat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. helensaramay

But if someone with type 1 eats a low carb high protein meal such as only meat, their BG will rise and they will need insulin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Jed.s

No I’ve done my check up my insulin is at the right dosage and whenever I do eat I always have insulin

14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

True... but not what I was replying to?
    I was replying to the statement "everything has carbs" .

15. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You’re not wrong there. But type ones don’t need to avoid carbs provided they can dose insulin correctly for them. And when we cut carbs (as I myself do), we also need to learn to dose for protein, which is just as complicated, if not more so. The bg rise for proteins differs not just between type of animal consumed but also by cut sometimes. It can be an absolute minefield.

Edited to add - there’s literally no such thing as a “free food” for a type one. Everything has to be accounted for and dosed accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Jed.s

There is no easy part of this chronic illness we all suffer

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don’t think I “suffer” as such - although I have taken on that mentality in the past. I refuse to be a victim anymore. It’s robbed me of almost twenty years, and I realised the choice was either “get busy living or get busy dying” and I chose to live.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't feel ill anymore since I began taking insulin. It's a lifesaver, literally.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jed.s

Barely living

• Hug Hug x 2
  20. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jed.s T1D is a real PITA 24/7. I have been type 1 for 48 years. I eat what I want, when I want. As long as you get your carb ratio and carb counting correct you will get a straightish line. We all get it totally wrong on times. Even a "normal" persons pancreas doesn't produce a straight line all the time.
    You mention that there is no DAFNE course where you are!? Where do you live? Have a look at BERTIE online

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook