Blood in urine.

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I had 'coffee coloured urine' (think black coffee, coca cola type stuff).

I have managed to get this looking 'normal' again today (straw colour) but only after drinking a ridiculous amount of fluids (think 5 litres by 5pm).

My question is. Has anyone else had this and at what stage should this be classed as a hospital visit rather than waiting several days to see a doctor at the surgery (it's currently Easter bank holiday as Brits will know)?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last night I had 'coffee coloured urine' (think black coffee, coca cola type stuff).

I have managed to get this looking 'normal' again today (straw colour) but only after drinking a ridiculous amount of fluids (think 5 litres by 5pm).

My question is. Has anyone else had this and at what stage should this be classed as a hospital visit rather than waiting several days to see a doctor at the surgery (it's currently Easter bank holiday as Brits will know)?
Well done, for drinking enough water to get urine to a healthy straw-colour. Had you had any food or drink that would have coloured it? Otherwise I have seen urine that dark with a bad urinary infections where treatment would be with antibiotics. You mentioned blood in the title. If you have blood in urine, please take a sample to a GP, or speak with 111.

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, for drinking enough water to get urine to a healthy straw-colour. Had you had any food or drink that would have coloured it? Otherwise I have seen urine that dark with a bad urinary infections where treatment would be with antibiotics. You mentioned blood in the title. If you have blood in urine, please take a sample to a GP, or speak with 111.

Nope. No meds that could possibly do the same either.

If it relates to the kidneys (quite possible) blood in urine (gross hematuria) seems to be classified as an "emergency" upon searching the web. o_O

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's marvellous how these conditions develop over bank holidays when immediate medical advice is not so readily available.

Please contact your GP's out-of-hours service or dial 111 where staff will direct you to the appropriate out-of-hours hub in your area.

Edited by mods to conform to forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's marvellous how these conditions develop over bank holidays when immediate medical advice is not so readily available.

Please contact your GP's out-of-hours service or dial 111 where staff will direct you to the appropriate out-of-hours hub in your area.

Edited by mods to conform to forum rules
Indeed and my dealings with 111 were hardly positive. In fact a waste of time. I had to wait out the bank holiday weekend and go down the GP route.