Blood is too well controlled? Getting fat?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee @oldgreymare

I read a science journal suggesting Type 1's can't maintain "beneficial Ketosis" because of a negative feedback loop from such small insulin levels will mean no energy can enter the cells (or something like that) and this will eventually become dangerous. So I chickened out when my ketone levels became darker & darker (despite perfect glucose control)

All this info was VERY hard to find btw and my diabetic nurses didn't seem too informed either. So I basically had to experiment on myself

Like I said. I'm on low carb right now, with therapeutic levels of insulin. And that seems to be okay :)

If it's working for you regarding the balance of healthy BGs & maintaining your personal body style?

Then more power to ya! :)

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you cite this article?
With the benefit of a PhD in physiology, I never pay much attention to a single research report, especially as the experimental design for nutrition in humans is typically inadequate. When you say your ketone levels were darker and darker I assume you are using urine strips - better than nothing, but hideously inaccurate re blood ketones. If you can keep your blood glucose levels consistently to normal levels, high ketones won't be seriously dangerous, but also will take at least 6-8 weeks to stabilise to the point where they are driving reduction of liver fat, then to be followed by reduction of other body fat/inflammatory levels. It's a journey.

Yep. Reduction in belly, liver fat & reversal of insulin resistance was my intention.... and it was working.

Sure, only urine testing - but the rise in ketones was a concern to me. But if you think it's okay, then I guess that's a bit encouraging to go even lower on the carbs/insulin because the benefits are amazing

I just hope it's safe in the long run

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. Reduction in belly, liver fat & reversal of insulin resistance was my intention.... and it was working.

Sure, only urine testing - but the rise in ketones was a concern to me. But if you think it's okay, then I guess that's a bit encouraging to go even lower on the carbs/insulin because the benefits are amazing

I just hope it's safe in the long run
A significant number of type 1’s do achieve and manage safely nutritional ketosis (not the same as ketoacidosis despite many misinformed guides). There’s a Facebook group dedicated to it called typeonegrit. I think dr Bernstein is a widely known type 1 advocate too. I’m sure there are other type 1’s in here eating this way who can tell you more.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did a very low carb diet and was in ketosis which is totally different to dka and perfectly fine I lost around 3 and a half stone and reduced my insulin requirements significantly during that time