Type 2 Blood Ketone Levels

Megamart1

I would be grateful for information on what blood ketone levels should be under normal body function and when subject to low carb diet.
I have a new blood glucose monitor which measures both glucose and ketone. When my glucose is high, over 10 the monitor flashes check ketones. On occasions i check the ketones and get between 0.5 and 3.5. I understand that when you are on low carb your body uses more of your bodies fat store.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

When eating "normally" i.e. a carb loaded western diet ketones will rarely been seen

When eating low carb in the "classic" sub 130g of carbs per day ketones will likely rarely be seen

When eating a ketogenic diet ketones can be anywhere between 0.1 and 5.0 mmol/l

Are you taking any medication for your T2, assuming you are T2?

Reactions: Megamart1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

When eating "normally" i.e. a carb loaded western diet ketones will rarely been seen

When eating low carb in the "classic" sub 130g of carbs per day ketones will likely rarely be seen

I've read lower than 5, up to 3.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/

But may be margin for error? Do you have sources please

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read lower than 5, up to 3.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/

But may be margin for error? Do you have sources please

What apart from logic you mean?

You cannot be in ketosis unless you are producing ketones.. hence anything that registers ketones means you are in ketosis.
i.e. more than zero.. most meters show 0.1 as the lowest measure..

The 3 upper limit is based on a rather flawed graphic that Phniney and Volek publshed years ago and is parroted everywhere which is where the whole 0.5-3.0 being "nutritional ketosis" comes from.

Last edited:

Megamart1

Hi and welcome

Yes, Metformin and empagliflozin along with basal insulin Humulin 1 which I’ve just started a couple of months ago.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What apart from logic you mean?

You cannot be in ketosis unless you are producing ketones.. hence anything that registers ketones means you are in ketosis.
i.e. more than zero.. most meters show 0.1 as the lowest measure..

The 3 upper limit is based on a rather flawed graphic that Phniney and Volek publshed years ago and is parroted everywhere which is where the whole 0.5-3.0 being "nutritional ketosis" comes from.
The source was in respect to the level of 5, I could have been clearer, so apologies for that

For T1s especially who have a higher risk for DKA understanding a safe zone may be different perhaps, I'm not T1 so couldn't comment on that

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Metformin and empagliflozin along with basal insulin Humulin 1 which I’ve just started a couple of months ago.

Ah ok.. in that case I'd be careful and maybe contact the doctor as the flozin group of medications have been know to cause diabetic ketoacidosis in people taking them. With higher than desired blood sugars and ketones you might be susceptible..

http://www.rotherhamccg.nhs.uk/Downloads/Medicines Management/Newsletters/Bite Size July 2015.pdf

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The source was in respect to the level of 5, I could have been clearer, so apologies for that

For T1s especially who have a higher risk for DKA understanding a safe zone may be different perhaps, I'm not T1 so couldn't comment on that

5 seems to be quite feasible for fasters and those who produce lots of blood ketones.. although the Volek and Phinney chart (of which this is a copy ) implies it is "starvation" ketosis. It also appears to imply that 10+ is the "unsafe" zone although for people taking flozins I'm guessing it might be lower..

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 12.59.54.png