Blood Level Reading Question

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I just want to know, are the recommended blood glucose level ranges published by NICE and stated on this website whole blood or blood plasma readings ?
Thanks

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming it's plasma but await confirmation.
Just trying to work out anomalies between (1) BUPA lab test healthcheck through work (2) my own finger pricking and (3) fasting test done via GP.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which finger pricker meter do you use? The vast majority of modern meters calibrate internally, so the reading you see is a plasma blood one, so it should be the same as a fasting test at the GP surgery.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These are the levels suggested by NICE and they are plasma blood values:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

And here's the proof:

Blood glucose targets
1.6.13Advise adults with type 1 diabetes to aim for:

• a fasting plasma glucose level of 5–7 mmol/litre on waking and

• a plasma glucose level of 4–7 mmol/litre before meals at other times of the day. [new 2015]
1.6.14Advise adults with type 1 diabetes who choose to test after meals to aim for a plasma glucose level of 5–9 mmol/litre at least 90 minutes after eating. (This timing may be different in pregnancy – for guidance on plasma glucose targets in pregnancy, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy.) [new 2015]

1.6.15Agree bedtime target plasma glucose levels with each adult with type 1 diabetes that take into account timing of the last meal and its related insulin dose, and are consistent with the recommended fasting level on waking (see recommendation 1.6.13). [new 2015]

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-recommendations

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. The anomaly mainly is with the healthcheck I had at work, fasting level done by Lab taken at 10am came out 1.5mmol lower than other readings, giving probably a false sense of optimism. This may have been a whole blood reading, which are typically lower.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, whole blood readings are lower by (I think) around 12% Can you find out via BUPA?

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have asked, whether they respond who knows.
Do all glucometers read in plasma too ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe most of them do. I know for sure the Codefree and the Accu Chek range do. You can usually find it in the small print in the instruction book, buried in the specifications pages. It may say near the front that it reads whole capillary blood, but the plasma calibration is elsewhere.