Blood levels up and down

Darion

I’ve been T1 for 2 years, and have had it under control the majority of that time. This last week or 2 however, my bloods are up and down, to extremes. Today I crashed at 3.2, worse hypo I’ve ever had, I finished a bag of jelly babies off and a couple of biscuits and it wore off, am feeling exhausted now though. I’ve just retested after my dinner and they’ve shot up to 22.9. I’ve injected as usual and am on Novorapid 15 units 3x a day and 20 units of the slow acting daily.

I had a hypo yesterday (I’ve only had 3 before then and nothing as severe as the last 2) and the same thing happened I started the day at 15.7, by lunch was down to 5.4 which is lower than I like hence the hypo, then afterwards back up to 19.8.

I’m not sure what’s causing it, I’ve ruled out different foods and cut out certain things that I’d been eating while taking my eye off the ball but it hasn’t made the difference.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Darion

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I crashed at 3.2, worse hypo I’ve ever had, I finished a bag of jelly babies off and a couple of biscuits and it wore off, am feeling exhausted now though. I’ve just retested after my dinner and they’ve shot up to 22.9.
Hi @Darion , and welcome to the forum!
Sounds like a bag of jelly babies and a couple of biscuits were more carbs than you needed to get out of your hypo. Exactly how much sugar you need to treat a hypo is highly personal and of course depends on the hypo, but most hypo's for most of us will be chased away with a couple of jelly babies, followed by a biscuit.
This last week or 2 however, my bloods are up and down, to extremes.
Has anything changed in your eating habits or your activity levels? Having fixed doses, like you have, only works well with fixed habits. Most of us adjust our insulin doses depending on the amount of carbs we eat, exercise we do, feeling under the weather, periods coming up, et cetera.

Are you in the UK? I understand many T1's in the UK are offered a DAFNE course to learn to make those adjustments.

Wish you all the best!

Amz1

Most definitely the jelly babies, i made the same mistakes when first diagnosed (2017) glucose tablets followed by a sweet drink should do the trick.

Darion

Hi @Darion , and welcome to the forum!
Sounds like a bag of jelly babies and a couple of biscuits were more carbs than you needed to get out of your hypo. Exactly how much sugar you need to treat a hypo is highly personal and of course depends on the hypo, but most hypo's for most of us will be chased away with a couple of jelly babies, followed by a biscuit.

Has anything changed in your eating habits or your activity levels? Having fixed doses, like you have, only works well with fixed habits. Most of us adjust our insulin doses depending on the amount of carbs we eat, exercise we do, feeling under the weather, periods coming up, et cetera.

Are you in the UK? I understand many T1's in the UK are offered a DAFNE course to learn to make those adjustments.

Wish you all the best!

Hi! I’ve usually done a few biscuits etc and it’s never jumped as much, but they’ve never been so severe so maybe I was trying to over compensate perhaps.

The only thing to change in my routine is lockdown, I’m a a bar manager in a hotel so on my feet all day to doing sod all really.
I’m just starting to carb count so hoping being able to adjust accordingly will help.

Thanks for message.

Reactions: Antje77