Blood levels

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had tuna salad for lunch, no dressing and 1 cherry tomato just tested my blood and it's 8.3 it was 5.7 b4 lunch. Could the heat have anything to do with it? it's my first summer since being diagnosed

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard people say that heat can affect blood sugar levels and I heard someone say they had tuna and got a high reading. Tuna is too big to fit inside a tin so I expect it is minced and/or processed. Can we eliminate the tuna by reading the carb content on the label. If that's fine then only the heat is left.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having nothing else to do I looked it up to find that regular tuna has no carbohydrates but .......

Flavored Varieties
Special flavored varieties of canned tuna, such as sun-dried tomato flavor and garlic-herb flavor, have become more popular in recent days because they are inexpensive like regular tuna, but more flavorful and a change from the mundane flavor of plain tuna. Flavored tuna usually has added carbohydrates from various sauces, herbs and vegetables used. Make sure to compare the nutritional facts with plain tuna before buying a new flavor variety.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My tuna is simply tuna and sea salt. No water even.
Protein raises my bs. I eat less than 3 oz per meal or I shoot way up. Seems more common with type 1's though. Perhaps putting some mayo , avocado or dressing on the tuna will slow any protein spike. I need some fat with every meal as I slows and lowers the spike.

One meal I remember when I was type 2 is seared ahi with no fat and I spiked high but then dropped fast. Adding fat slows all of that. Slows and lowers the ups and slows the downs
Did you test again?

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was plain tuna in water. I've tested again and it's 6.9. Maybe I should have some mayo as suggested. Thank you for your replies and I will steer clear of flavoured tuna thanks again

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Tuna in Olive oil is the best bet but it can be difficult to find I can get mine from Saundburys but ISTR M&S also carry it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was plain tuna in water. I've tested again and it's 6.9. Maybe I should have some mayo as suggested. Thank you for your replies and I will steer clear of flavoured tuna thanks again

Avocado is a great fat to add to meals. I add mayo and / or avocado to all meals or I roller coaster. Avocado is also a great snack that doesn't raise my bs. Sometimes I eat slices or chunks and sometimes smash it with sea salt and garlic powder and eat it with celery slices.

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had tuna salad for lunch, no dressing and 1 cherry tomato just tested my blood and it's 8.3 it was 5.7 b4 lunch. Could the heat have anything to do with it? it's my first summer since being diagnosed

Mines been high over the last few days.
Since going low carb 12 weeks ago I have got my levels down to high 5's low 6's pretty much any time of day. Including morning's. For a few days it's been 6.7 and over in the morning and today's was 7.5 :( I haven't had a 7 in ages.
Not changed what I have been eating... So I too am a bit confused as to why it's gone up so much. Also gained weight this week too, so not sure if that's linked in with my BG too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines been high over the last few days.
Since going low carb 12 weeks ago I have got my levels down to high 5's low 6's pretty much any time of day. Including morning's. For a few days it's been 6.7 and over in the morning and today's was 7.5 :( I haven't had a 7 in ages.
Not changed what I have been eating... So I too am a bit confused as to why it's gone up so much. Also gained weight this week too, so not sure if that's linked in with my BG too.
Did you add dairy? Start or stop exercising? Any adrenaline type issues? Sometimes we get carb or protein creep too. Protein raises some of us and we need to keep it moderate.