Blood pressure question?

sec123

Hi there,
I'm unsure if this is related but thought I'd ask anyway. I bought an omron blood pressure monitor that is approved and has 5 star reviews and is used by hospitals and doctors. When I first take my reading the systolic number is about 142 however after sitting for a bit longer and further taking my pressure it will go down to the 120s and then when I continue to take it after that all of my readings will be roughly 120/75. Does this mean my blood pressure is normal or not?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @sec123 you're normal. Your BP follows a similar pattern to mine. A reading should be taken when relaxed. Some of us take longer to relax than others !
Geoff (I also have an Omron for home-testing.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Our blood pressure fluctuates all the time. Yours is quite normal, and it is the resting numbers you need to concentrate on. Also, don't take it after eating or drinking tea/coffee/caffeine as this will also affect it, and make sure you are sitting down with your legs uncrossed. What I do when I'm in a period of checking mine, I take it 2 or 3 times a day at different times of the day, record these numbers, then average them

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mind does the same. I think it's a combination of relaxing more and the cuff being more settled for the second attempt. Put me near a nurse or doctor a and it's always 20 points higher lol!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I first take my reading the systolic number is about 142 however after sitting for a bit longer and further taking my pressure it will go down to the 120s and then when I continue to take it after that all of my readings will be roughly 120/75. Does this mean my blood pressure is normal or not?

Looks fine, the longer you sit the more relaxed you become.............hence the lowering of your bp readings.

The Omron bp monitors are the best IMHO, I'm on my second one and its the same one that my Dr's surgery/hospital clinic use.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just a thought if you have a meter for testing BP at home it is best to take it to your GP's surgery and compare its reading with one of theirs when I did I found my meter was reading way high it's now still in the boot of my car and am getting a new one.