Blood pressure

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching "That Sugar Film" today which had an explanation to this ...

High blood sugars causes higher blood pressure. If you eat a lot of carbs/sugar there is a spike in blood glucose which the body responds with increased insulin production. This stashes the excess glucose in the liver or converts it to fat. That causes the glucose levels to crash and makes the body feel hungry again. This is the typical sugar addiction cycle. The body produces adrenaline when hungry which then raises blood pressure.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the things I did today, just out of interest, was to check on the blood pressure medications I take. Bendroflumethiazide and Lisinopril. There in the possible side effects listing, admitedly in the rare column, was diabetes, for both of them. That suggests to me, that even the medication can raise sugar levels!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Blood sugar levels effect blood viscosity thicker blood is harder to pump hence higher BP.

"In two European studies, diabetic patients were observed to have systolic and diastolic blood viscosity levels that were more than 10% and 25% higher than healthy controls, respectively (all p values < 0.01).

Diabetes is a condition in which the body does not properly produce (Type I) or utilize (Type II) insulin, the hormone responsible for regulating glucose entry into cells throughout the body. When glucose is poorly regulated, it has a negative impact on red blood cells and causes a notable increase in blood viscosity through two distinct pathways: a reduction in the deformability of the red cells and an increase in their tendency to aggregate.

Both of these pathways hinge on an imbalance in the glucose concentration across the red blood cell membrane. Reduced deformability and increased aggregation each impact blood viscosity in its own way. The decreased deformability of the red cells, for instance, causes an increase in systolic blood viscosity. On the other hand, the increase in aggregation causes an increase in diastolic blood viscosity.

Blood viscosity is the resistance of blood to flow and is strongly correlated with cardiovascular disease. Thick blood injures and inflames blood vessels and forces the heart to work harder to pump blood throughout the body. There is a growing awareness of the relationship between blood viscosity and cardiovascular disease, but the link between elevated viscosity and diabetes is often overlooked."

http://www.bloodflowonline.com/perspectives/diabetes-linked-elevated-blood-viscosity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Try again double posted then double deleted idiot.

As I said blood sugar affects blood viscosity thicker blood is harder to pump hence higher BP.

"
In two European studies, diabetic patients were observed to have systolic and diastolic blood viscosity levels that were more than 10% and 25% higher than healthy controls, respectively (all p values < 0.01).

Diabetes is a condition in which the body does not properly produce (Type I) or utilize (Type II) insulin, the hormone responsible for regulating glucose entry into cells throughout the body. When glucose is poorly regulated, it has a negative impact on red blood cells and causes a notable increase in blood viscosity through two distinct pathways: a reduction in the deformability of the red cells and an increase in their tendency to aggregate.

Both of these pathways hinge on an imbalance in the glucose concentration across the red blood cell membrane. Reduced deformability and increased aggregation each impact blood viscosity in its own way. The decreased deformability of the red cells, for instance, causes an increase in systolic blood viscosity. On the other hand, the increase in aggregation causes an increase in diastolic blood viscosity.

Blood viscosity is the resistance of blood to flow and is strongly correlated with cardiovascular disease. Thick blood injures and inflames blood vessels and forces the heart to work harder to pump blood throughout the body. There is a growing awareness of the relationship between blood viscosity and cardiovascular disease, but the link between elevated viscosity and diabetes is often overlooked."

http://www.bloodflowonline.com/perspectives/diabetes-linked-elevated-blood-viscosity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good God thought I had sorted the double post sorry.

SimonCrox

Interesting question.
Type 2 DM can be seen as part of the metabolic syndrome which is high glucose, high BP, high cholesterol and a big waist. So, in USA where half folk did not get health care, folk wiht hypertension were more likely to get diabetes, and in diabetic folk, prevalence of hypertension is higher - so they go hand in hand. Not totally sure ehy T2DM causes hypertension, but the insulin resistance leads to higher insulin levels initially which cause salt & water retention and constriction of the small blood vessels which raise BP; there are other proposed mechanisms.
And as folk say, some blood pressure tablets eg thiazide type diuretics, beta blockers and minoxodil raise blood glucose whereas calcium channel blockers are neutral and beta blockers and ARBs might decrease glucose levels.
Obesity also raises glucose and BP; one Kg of weight is worth 1 mm Hg systolic on BP..
But in diabetic folk, high BP is more dangerous than in non-diabetic folk and treatment carries more benefit.
Best wishes

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had high blood pressure for many years before I became diabetic - however eating a low carb diet has reduced both my glucose levels and my blood pressure.

Robbity

Try again double posted then double deleted idiot.

As I said blood sugar affects blood viscosity thicker blood is harder to pump hence higher BP.

"
In two European studies, diabetic patients were observed to have systolic and diastolic blood viscosity levels that were more than 10% and 25% higher than healthy controls, respectively (all p values < 0.01).

Hi John, your post has reassured me somewhat. In 2015 I had a brain haemorrhage and a stroke, through the stroke I put on weight quickly, and I was prediabetic already, (I had the stroke at 52 years old, now almost 54) the weight gain accerlerated me becoming type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed type 2 in January 2016 with a hba1c of 5.7, the nurse said I was lucky to be caught early, I am prescribed metformin, 3x 500mg daily with meals, ( I was awaiting an operation, so my doc wanted to make sure my sugar wouldn't go too high for my op) and also on blood pressure meds, amlodipine 500mg daily, and Ramiphril 1.25 mg daily. I took the NHS advice, you know, lower carbs, but starchy carbs with every meal! So after all my hard work on physio for my stroke, ( I am very mobile after the stroke) I decided to really tackle the diabetes, by then the hba1c sugars got down to 5.1, so I went low carb, but not low enough, hba1c was reducing but slowly. Over 18 months I lost 4 stones in weight. A month ago I decided to go LCHF, I got my hba1c done a few days ago, dropped 4 points to 4.0, but a fortnight ago, I started feeling dizzy and unbalanced, I found my head was 'turning over' and it isn't my stroke symptoms. Been to see my doctor, and got told "Keep taking the BP meds, you need them for your BP, the dose is very low". Now I've read your post, I know why I'm getting dizzy. My body is getting used to being low sugar for the first time in years. Your explanation explains everything clearer to me now. Thank you.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Jacqueline15864 You are welcome glad to be of help. And welcome to the forum lots of good advice and information here.
have a good look around and don't be afraid to ask questions.