Blood Sugar and Exercise

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone explain why intensive exercise reduces blood sugar levels. I've recently done a couple of tests. As an example I had a slice of steak and kidney pie (which I'm sure a lot of you would condemn, but I've mastered my diabetes to allow this occasionally). Without exercise my blood sugar level after two hours was 11.8. On the following day, following a 1 hr and 20 mins. cycle ride, immediately followed by the same size slice of steak and kidney pie, my blood sugar level was only 6.4. I assume the reduction id owing to exercise, but would be interested to know the technical solution.

Reactions: Duncan Lord

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that there are two main reason
- our muscles use glucose so reduce it from our blood stream
- our body becomes more efficient at using insulin so what insulin we have will lower blood sugars more.

The other thing that happens is that, like when fasting, our liver will release glucose to give us the energy we need when it notices we are exercising.
If we do short intensive exercise, the glucose release occurs before the reasons above kick in, As a result, short intensive exercise (like HIIT or weights) could result in a rise in blood sugars.
However, the release of glucose from our liver means it has less to release over the. next 24 to 48 hours so we see a continued reduced blood sugar for the next day or two as our liver replenishes its stores.

I have also noticed that "stressful" exercise can also result in a rise in blood sugars.
For example, cycling up a long steep hill in the pouring rain with the wind against me is not short or intermittent but will still cause my levels to rise.

Reactions: Duncan Lord

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
[
My understanding is that there are two main reason
- our body becomes more efficient at using insulin so what insulin we have will lower blood sugars more.

The other thing that happens is that, like when fasting, our liver will release glucose to give us the energy we need when it notices we are exercising.
If we do short intensive exercise, the glucose release occurs before the reasons above kick in, As a result, short intensive exercise (like HIIT or weights) could result in a rise in blood sugars.
However, the release of glucose from our liver means it has less to release over the. next 24 to 48 hours so we see a continued reduced blood sugar for the next day or two as our liver replenishes its stores.

I have also noticed that "stressful" exercise can also result in a rise in blood sugars.
For example, cycling up a long steep hill in the pouring rain with the wind against me is not short or intermittent but will still cause my levels to rise.

QUOTE="In Response, post: 2409293, member: 527103"]My understanding is that there are two main reason

For example, cycling up a long steep hill in the pouring rain with the wind against me is not short or intermittent but will still cause my levels to rise.[/QUOTE]