blood sugar checks

martina

I was just wondering roughly how many times a day should bloodsugars be checked?.My daughter has five injections a day and I would test her bloodsugars about 7 times a day.The reason for asking is that I was told by the chemist that most people check once a day and that because I was having to test as much as i do that she must be on the wrong type of insulin.I did tell her that I thought she was wrong.I think perhaps she is confusing it with type two.I would just be interested in other peoples views on testing.thanks,things seems to be getting more difficult just when I thought that perhaps they would be easier by now.

leggott

Hi. My children do between 7 and 10 checks a day. I would say that a type 1 should be testing at the bare minimum before eAch meal, before bed and on waking so that already is between 4 / 5. It is also advisable to check before exercise and for adults before driving, so you can easily see someone testing more than ten times a day. Testing combined with carb counting really is in my opinion the only way to keep tight control and hopefully avoid or delay the complications associated with this condition. Perhaps if it was her daughter in question she may well agree with you!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter tests 5 times a day minimum, if she's doing sport then it can be 7 to 8 times in a day. Testing once a day for a type 1 is not the correct advice, I'd say your pharmacist is wrong.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Perhaps you pharmacist is thinking of T2?
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It makes no difference if you are type 1, 2 or whatever. You should test as often as you need to to achieve good control so the Pharmacist is totally wrong. Some of us test frequently and others manage with the bare minimum. Everybody is different in what they need to do to keep good control.

I am a T2 on Byetta and test at least 4-5 times a day. Anybody who tried to tell me I was testing too much would be politely told where to go !

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
We are also doing about 7 a day. More during illnesses and a bit less when things are running smoothly. Anyone using insulin would have to test fairly often.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as a type 1 i check before every meal,on waking and going to bed and more if im ill or feel off, i too was once told i didnt need to test this much as because i had good control and injected the same every day that i would be ok, needless to say i still check when i want :D