Blood sugar goes up in the morning on its own!

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a Type 1 diabetic and even my blood sugars in the morning are high. To bring it down I did this exercise, checked for blood sugars between 2 a.m and 4 a.m it was low and then in the morning it rises. Added to this there are hormones that contribute to the morning sugars. The best way to treat is eat a slow acting fiber food when you go to bed, if your sugars are between 110 mg - 150 mg 2 hours after dinner. Do a strenuous exercise in the evening before your night time medicines. This will definitely bring down your dawn sugars.

pinkjude

Anyone else find that their blood sugar can rise without having anything to eat or drink in the morning ?

If on waking up my blood sugar is say 5.5, if I don't have anything to eat or drink and check it again maybe about an hour later it will more often than not have shot up to about 12.0 or 15.0.

This has always been the case and not just started happening lately.

I'm type 1 and have been for almost 7 years.

My diabetic nurse doesn't seem to have any idea either.

I am type 2 and when my HBa1c was 55 back in October last year she said lets see what its like in 12 months although I may have you back in 6. Try not to let it get over 58 or you will have to go on medication. I asked for suggestions to get it down, was told just eat a healthy diet. No help. Told me to swap eggs for breakfast for shredded wheat which I now realise isnt great advice. When I thought my levels were rising in February I contacted the drs and was Sent for a blood test. When they rang me to tell me it was 84 anbd virtually blamed me for it I got quite angry. I said you get a test, no help with diet, told not to monitor at home and wont provide a meter. How am I supposed to know my levels are rising. Their answer then is medication. I said its almost as if you want diabetics to be a burden on the NHS. The DN rang me and was much nicer and said pick up the prescription but you can hold off taking the tablets and try diet and exercise for 3 months. Again no help or advice. So I came on here for help and also joined the NHS low carb programme for type 2's. Lots of very friendly, helpful people on here