Blood sugar gone up since I started diet

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It would seem my blood sugar has actually gone up since I got diagnosed with prediabetes. When I first got tested on a fasting it was 5.6 I believe and now I'm average 6 in the mornings. Could there be any reason why this is happening?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you only test your fasting levels? They are very unreliable and unpredictable. Many factors come into play including stress, disturbed sleep, and of course the dawn phenomenon (liver dump). It is common to have a wide range of fasting readings.

Are you also testing before and after meals, or bedtimes? Testing this way will give you a much better indication of how you are doing.

D

Deleted Account

Could be the stress of dealing with your recent diagnosis.
There are many things which affect BG - food, stress, time of day, illness, exercise, good sleep, bad sleep, alcohol, temperature, weather (some people have higher BG when it is colder), ...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would seem my blood sugar has actually gone up since I got diagnosed with prediabetes. When I first got tested on a fasting it was 5.6 I believe and now I'm average 6 in the mornings. Could there be any reason why this is happening?
You mention Diet in the title of this thread, but give no indication of what you are using. You seem to suspect it may be a cause, but without more details we are in the dark.

If the diet choices you are making do the intended, then it should reduce bgl. Overnight your low bgl will be interpreted by your body as possible starvation looming, so the liver will step in and give a boost of glucose into the blood. This is natural, and is a body self protection mechanism. There is a load of info on Dawn Phenomenon, or Liver Dump which is what may be happening. If so, it should settle down soon.

One tip I found was instead of the fasting bgl, using the pre-meal time instead may give a more stable indication of daily bgl levels than an early morning reading.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you comparing a doctor's fasting plasma glucose test when you were first diagnosed with your own home testing? Home meter's are not as accurate as lab tests. You cannot compare blood drawn from your arm with a finger prick drop of blood with a home meter. The testing technology process is different even though the measurements are the same.

You also seem to be comparing your home average when a fasting lab test is just one snap shot in time.

As other have said there a lots of things like sleep, stress, exercise even weather etc that can effect your levels. Even different batches of test strips can cause the small difference that you have mentioned.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember testing only gives you a reading for that moment it changes all the time test five minutes later and it can be higher or lower Averaging 6 in the morning is not bad and usually about what I am I don't worry about it and many people are higher than that.