Blood Sugar High

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just tested my blood sugar & it’s reading Hi. I washed my hands and repeated it and still saying hi. Do I need to do anything. I’ve recently started on basal/ bolus insulin (abasaglar & humalog).
Saw the dietician yesterday and they upped my doses and want me to carb count to work out how much insulin to give, still very confusing particularly working how much to give as a correction. The way I understand it is you can only take the insulin before food. So I guess I can’t take some insulin to bring my sugars down.
Argh why does it always out of hours.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Tubbycatsmum_ Im T1 and not a clinician so cant really advise you, but you don't have to eat when you take insulin. Did the dietitian advise you on correction doses?

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes she just said to take 1 unit per 10g of carbs and for the corrections to take 1 unit to lower my blood sugar by 3mmol/l. She also said it has to be 5 hours before I can correct again.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
That's the ratio I use, 1u of Humalog to reduce by 3, but I wouldn't take a huge amount at bedtime. If you do take a correction dose you could set your alarm for every 2 hours and keep testing, it will be a while before you see any change but a reading of Hi is not so good. Are there other people in the house with you?

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes my hubby’s here. I’ve rung 111, not very helpful. They said I’d to go to a GP at 2:30am based at a hospital over 10 mile away. So think I’ll ride it out and contact DNS in the morning.
I’ve checked for ketones & negative.
I take usually humalog 4-6 units per meal and then abasaglar 14 units at bedtime.
I guess it’s a learning curve, thanks for your advice x