Blood Sugar level goes up even when having nothing to eat. Why?

Newforester25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had Type 2 (diet controlled) for about 6 years. I have been experimenting a lot with what I can eat
and I have noticed something odd. I can test my blood sugar first thig in the morning say 8:00am and it will show as 6.4 for example then I can go about my active day, just drink water, no food, and 3 hours later, when I test myself again, it shows 7.7!
Where has that extra blood sugar come from if I haven't eaten anything?
JD

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Investigate dawn phenomenon (or foot on the floor syndrome). I realise this is happening after you’ve got up but it’s the same process that can happen at any time of day. Fundamentally your liver is adding glucose to your blood from its stores because it thinks you need it. That might be because it’s used to a level higher than you are running at without food, or maybe it’s the energy you’re expending that makes it think you need a boost. Sometimes I find it works better to have just a tiny zero carb breakfast, maybe a boiled egg, just to remind the liver I’m ok and don’t need it’s help lol. I end up with a lower level the rest of the morning than if I have nothing. If you are early into achieving good control it’s not necessarily a bad thing as you want to relieve the liver of any excess stores it has (maybe even in the form of non alcoholic fatty liver common with type2).