Blood sugar meters

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
I'm sure these points have been covered before but hey, they need saying.
First point is why can't type 2 patients get meters, lancets & test strips on prescription? OK, there's a cost involved. But consider the cost when somebody decides they don't want to fork out £30 to £50 a month. They have no idea what is or isn't working for them. Chances are, they'll make poor decisions. What may have been controllable with diet now requires drugs. And that's just the start.
Early intervention with the tools to help educate the person about what does and doesn't work for them is actually a cheap option.

The second point I know has appeared before but wanted to put in my pennyworth.
Either changing my meter had a magical effect (albeit not huge) on my blood sugar levels or different meters give different results.
My own view is that it isn't that important providing the differences between readings on each are similar, that is two pre-prandial readings can differ, as can two post-prandial. It is the difference between each respective set of pre and post readings that matters.

The new meter I'm using is the Bayer Contour Next. Readings seem a tad lower than previous SD Codefree meter. Interesting fact is that the Bayer Microlet lancets are less painful (and more productive!) than 28G universal lancets I used previously.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First point is why can't type 2 patients get meters, lancets & test strips on prescription?
Early intervention with the tools to help educate the person about what does and doesn't work for them is actually a cheap option.

Either changing my meter had a magical effect (albeit not huge) on my blood sugar levels or different meters give different results.
Meters etc. are only provided for a patient to test that they are not hypo and also to calculate how much insulin they need. Type 2's not on insulin (it is reasoned) therefore do not need a meter. They will issue them to patients who are not on insulin but take medication powerful enough to cause hypo's. The fact that the diagnosis of Type 2 is done when the patient is hyper, and this is damaging, is not taken into account, probably on cost grounds.

Meters are not particularly accurate. No-one ever claimed that they were. They are only specified as + or - 15% and I know of one that is -0 +30%. Furthermore some are calibrated to whole blood and some to plasma equivalent which is higher.

I know which meter my DN supplies and use the same make so that my readings are true to what she expects.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pleased to read you look at the actual amount of rise from before to after a meal as an indicator rather than putting too much reliance on the before and after levels. It's what I do. Personally I prefer to have slightly higher base levels with a flatter curve on the graph. I like gentle hump back bridge shapes. I don't like mountain peaks.

Also, with the inaccuracies of our meters, some reading higher and some reading lower than others you can at least judge if they are consistent by recording the actual amount of the rise.

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
Just back from a local CCG meeting.
I asked about test kit prescription. Simple answer is perceived cost.
When I asked how T2s are supposed figure out what foods work for them nobody could give a convincing answer.
Unless you are on insulin or a strong medication, you're probably on your own. Sadly those not able or willing to pay and/or investigate dietary options will simply lose out.
Suggestion was made to have a go at NICE.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Its the cost of the strips thats the main reason gps don"t give meters to type 2"s. Unless on insulin or strong diabetic meds. I use the codefree meter. I admit i struggle to pay for the strips as i am on ESA. But its worth it for me because it helps to see where my levels are

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
Its the cost of the strips thats the main reason gps don"t give meters to type 2"s. Unless on insulin or strong diabetic meds. I use the codefree meter. I admit i struggle to pay for the strips as i am on ESA. But its worth it for me because it helps to see where my levels are
Hi Ally1,
The SD codefree is a good, cost effective choice in my opinion.
GPs are advised not to prescribe any of the kit. It's a national matter. You're right, it's all about the cost.

truckersteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm Type 2 and my GP prescribes my testing strips etc. But only after I made him and my diabetic nurse aware that DVLA insist that I check my levels as I am a HGV driver on Metformin and Sitagliptin and could loose my licence if I don't keep records.

Reactions: Prem51 and Moosepig

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ukuleleplayer The simple fact of the matter is that strategy for Self Management of Blood Glucose (SMBG) in type 2 diabetes is somewhat flawed, and as yet, I'm not aware of any RCTs that seek to redress this.

The UK NICE guidelines don't recommend SMBG on cost grounds because they look at SMBG in the light of T1 diabetes, using the tests to check insulin needs and risks rather than understanding that in T2 it should be encouraged around eating to understand the profile of various meals and the effects on glucose as a result.

Given the dogma around T2 being a progressive disorder that always leads to insulin and is untreatable in other ways within healthcare circles, it's also unsurprising that these things aren't considered necessary.

This is a paradigm shift for NICE and as I mentioned, there are no research trials that I'm aware of that are looking at this. Maybe it's one for @Administrator to consider speaking with his contacts about setting up, or perhaps some sort of self reported study that we could manage through DCUK?

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
I'm Type 2 and my GP prescribes my testing strips etc. But only after I made him and my diabetic nurse aware that DVLA insist that I check my levels as I am a HGV driver on Metformin and Sitagliptin and could loose my licence if I don't keep records.
Pleased to hear this but you shouldn't have had to argue the toss. Of course the drugs make it imperative that you test.
Keep the wheels turning.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
First point is why can't type 2 patients get meters, lancets & test strips on prescription?

No one can get a meter on prescription. The reps leave some at clinics or surgeries for the nurses to dish out. So if you want a meter just look on the net and you will see plenty available for free, just make sure your mouse accidently on purpose slips so you tick the type 1 box and the meter will be sent to you free of charge :)

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
No one can get a meter on prescription. The reps leave some at clinics or surgeries for the nurses to dish out. So if you want a meter just look on the net and you will see plenty available for free, just make sure your mouse accidently on purpose slips so you tick the type 1 box and the meter will be sent to you free of charge :)
Hi CarbsRok,
The issue isn't the meters....you're right, you can get those free. The expensive bit is the ongoing need for test strips and lancets. They're the bit that needs to be on prescription if T2s are to manage their condition.

pilgrimm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
?
First point is why can't type 2 patients get meters, lancets & test strips on prescription? OK, there's a cost involved. But consider the cost when somebody decides they don't want to fork out £30 to £50 a month. They have no idea what is or isn't working for them. Chances are, they'll make poor decisions. What may have been controllable with diet now requires drugs. And that's just the start.

My own view is that it isn't that important providing the differences between readings on each are similar, that is two pre-prandial readings can differ, as can two post-prandial. It is the difference between each respective set of pre and post readings that matters.

The new meter I'm using is the Bayer Contour Next. Readings seem a tad lower than previous SD Codefree meter. Interesting fact is that the Bayer Microlet lancets are less painful (and more productive!) than 28G universal lancets I used previously.
I am type 2 and I got a meter from nhs and strips after I bought my own meter and quite a debate because our local diabeties service is farmed out to a private company which is a shambles (only my personal opinion of coarse ) but I am a sceptic I feel the profit made by the private company should be plowed back into NHS in other words the contract should not be issed to a private company I might add the meters and strips had to be the type the the company had decided on (special cheap deal) but I got my meter from Bayer and I insist I am supplied tests to match it ,, its a far superior quality than the contractor supplied , and I might add I have never been given any education on Diabeties , I only know what I have read or learned as days go by ,and from Diabeties UK

pilgrimm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
?
Hi Ally1,
The SD codefree is a good, cost effective choice in my opinion.
GPs are advised not to prescribe any of the kit. It's a national matter. You're right, it's all about the cost.
yes I was told that by the diabetic nurse but I took it up with the doctor who agreed with me and prescribed them , I started to go to the local diabetic forum ,, all that consisted of was people talking about what a "fine service" that was supplied and what a loverly company it was ,,(the contractor ) how wonderful the brochues were ,, no real education on diabeties ,, it was a waste of time and resources and still is ,,

pilgrimm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
?
Hi CarbsRok,
The issue isn't the meters....you're right, you can get those free. The expensive bit is the ongoing need for test strips and lancets. They're the bit that needs to be on prescription if T2s are to manage their condition.
as I earlier posted I stated I was type 2 and was sent a meter F.O.C. from Diabeties uk backers .... IE Roche Bayer, and others no segregation from them ,, they want to sell products in future ,and I might add they are very helpful to the customer/patient

Rul2m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 diagnosed in June 2015 and was told all the usual stuff about not having to test myself etc. So they're still trying me out on the "control by diet and exercise" to see how I get on.Thank god for this forum! I got my codefree meter in August so only been using it for 2 months. Was at doctor today for flu jab so chased them up about my latest results. Nurse said they were good and doctor feels she didn't need to see me. Result! Well pleased with that. I was that excited I can't remember what the figure was now lol. If the meter isn't deadly accurate I'm not too worried as it seems to be helping me to get my head round things a bit better.

Last edited:

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
In my limited experience (comparing Codefree with another) the Codefree was giving a slightly higher reading.
The forum is great, isn't it? It's the place where the best diabetes experts can be found.

Rul2m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely! I can't thank you all enough for just being here. I've found great info on here.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my limited experience (comparing Codefree with another) the Codefree was giving a slightly higher reading.
The forum is great, isn't it? It's the place where the best diabetes experts can be found.
Couldnt agree more, those with knowledge are those with hands on experience - those with Diabetes - not people reading from the prepared propaganda, i mean script