Blood sugar question

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At what point are high blood sugars going to start doing damage? If i keep my readings between 7 and 9 mmol without medication, what are my chances of living a normal a live as possible? or am i guaranteed to have problems in the future?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The more you can reduce your carb intake the better your numbers will be. I personally do not think long term complications are worth that piece of toast or whatever. Every little bit you can do will help. You should be between 4 and 7.8 most of the time and this is doable for most, but not all, with diet alone. Good luck

Reactions: tim32 and Prem51

Dark Horse

This page discusses the relationship between HbA1c and retinopathy:
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm

It says:-

• ... if your diabetes is controlled (HbA1c less than about 53mmol/ l (7%) retinopathy may never develop, or develop very slowly
  • ... the lower the better, so if your HbA1c is 53mmol/ l (7%), you will develop retinopathy at a much slower rate than someone whose level is 75mmol/ l (9.0%) ... each percentage point (10mmol/l) of HbA1c translates into a massive 37% difference in progression rate, your retinopathy will be 2 x 37%, = 74% slower, to develop
  • Retinopathy may develop after 14 years of poorly controlled type 1 diabetes (type 2 less than 14 years as it may be diagnosed late)

Reactions: tim32 and Prem51