1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar reading different on each finger?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mollyc1995, Mar 4, 2019.

  1. Mollyc1995

    Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    74
    Trophy Points:
    48
    so I ha e been testing my blood sugar after every meal (1, 2 and 3hrs)

    I just checked for the 2 hrs post meal and said 6.9, and I thought I’d that low or not for after a meal, so I did another test on different finger and it said 7.9. So then I checked 2 more times on different fingers and got a 6.9 and a 7?....what does this mean? I don’t know what is accurate or not....are we supposed to use different fingers when checking?
     
  2. briped

    briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    951
    Likes Received:
    731
    Trophy Points:
    153
    I know, it's mind boggling, isn't it? I think most of us, if not all, have tried the same, and I bet you that if I went on a testing spree right now, I'd get different numbers too.
    In other words, I don't have an explanation for you, just a shared experience. I hope someone else have some words of wisdom to spare, assuming that there are no visible or invisible food residues on your fingers, jam on one, nothing on the next, honey on the 3rd etc. etc. ;)
     
  3. annie07

    annie07 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    41
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Readings are never 100% accurate and there is a margin of error, so you may get a few different numbers even from the same blood drop! Always make sure your hands are clean before testing. As far as I'm aware using all fingers is fine and even recommended as repeated pricks to one finger can give a lot of bruising and pain. I use all my fingers! Given that you got three readings of 6.9/7.0, I would just take that as your reading. The 7.9 definitely seems to be the odd one out there.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

    Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

    Messages:
    25,056
    Likes Received:
    30,549
    Trophy Points:
    298
    All meters can be plus or minus 15% away from a true reading, 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they can be miles out.

    Looking at your 4 results I would go with either the 6.9 or the 7 and put the 7.9 down to meter or strip error. We all get rogue readings from time to time.
     
  • Meet the Community

    Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

    Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

    Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

  • Like us on Facebook