Blood sugar readings for a non diabetic adolescent.

Missmop

I am calling the Dr tomorrow but could someone please check these readings and advise. Family history of T1 on my mother’s side and I had gestational diabetes.

He had lots of tests over the years owing to nausea/sickness/headaches after food. He’s been really sleepy this week and all out of energy. I’ve been monitoring his sugar this weekend (with two different monitors for consistency). A lot of these seem normal but then some don’t. He is has just turned 12.

Friday

Pre meal, fasting as he’d been asleep 5.8

1 hour post meal 10.1

2 hours post meal 9.4

3 hours post meal 7.7 he had one pack of crisps

4 hours post meal 8.0

4 1/2 hours post meal 8.1. Bed time.

———————————————————

Saturday

Pre meal fasting in the morning 6.3

1 hour post meal 11.0

2 hours post meal 8.7

Pre meal 7.4 (small lunch)

1 hour post meal 6.5

2 hour post meal before snack 6.0

60 mins post snack 7.2

2 hours post snack 7.1

Pre meal 7.3

2 hours post meal 7.6

Before bed 6.0

———————————-

Sunday

Fast pre breakfast 5.4

2 hours post breakfast 8.3

Pre lunch 6.1

2 hours post lunch 6.4

What do you make of these readings?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Missmop Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have already made the right decision and that was to call the doctor tomorrow and arrange a consultation with your doctor and maybe arrange blood tests if only for your piece of mind if you are anxious about your son's health. No one here can diagnose your son it is best left to your doctor though personalty I if in your position would definitely seek medical advise, that though is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Missmop

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Missmop , and welcome to the forum!

We can't make anything of those readings because we're not doctors and we can't diagnose. However, those numbers are very close to normal.

The main thing I get from your question is that you are worried, so you're doing well to seek doctors advice.

Having a random bug brewing, like a cold, can raise blood glucose. That could well account for the slightly higher resultsand account for the lack of energy. BG meters can be off a bit as well.

I'd wait and see what your doctor says.

Reactions: Missmop

Missmop

Well I have booked a Dr’s appointment. I found him on the floor today in a deep sleep with a BM of 15.5. 111 said he needed to see a Dr today, the GP surgery were not that bothered and said wait until Friday. Hopefully I will know more then.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have booked a Dr’s appointment. I found him on the floor today in a deep sleep with a BM of 15.5. 111 said he needed to see a Dr today, the GP surgery were not that bothered and said wait until Friday. Hopefully I will know more then.
How long after eating was the 15? Obviously we can’t diagnose but unless he just ate a shed load of carbs that sounds high to me. Whilst waiting for the appointment I’d definitely keep checking regularly and if they go high again and especially if he feels unwell present him directly in front of a dr promptly and don’t be fobbed off. Better safe than sorry.

(Incidentally who at the surgery said they weren’t worried? Medical staff or admin?)

Missmop

He hadn’t eaten for a few hours, he fell asleep on the floor. The surgery nurse said it after 111 told the surgery that had to triage him today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please retest regularly and get medical help if it doesn't drop or goes higher, or if he feels unwell in any way, despite what the GP says. A 12 year old with a bg of 15 should be seen.

Just to make sure, I suppose you retested to rule out a dirty finger?

What is his bg like now?