BLOOD SUGAR RESULTS

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had results at my new surgery since I moved and was shocked. Not being good with the previous one which was 10, I was told it was 91. I gasped and was tearful and said I can't believe it I was only 10 last time. I was told that I had to work hard to bring it down and k totally agreed. I didn't sleep that night and the next day I contacted yourselves and a few days later I was assured that it wasn't 91 but 10.5 because of the calculations. I was relieved to say the least but obviously not happy with 10.5. I know in my heart that I hadn't worked particularly hard with my diet due to the stress of moving which took nearly 8 months to complete but I also was st the end of a really bad cold and lingering cough. So much so, I was dosing myself with cold and cough medicines that were not sugar free even the day of the blood test. I'm hoping this is the reason for the high result or am I just kidding myself?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi JayCee10, I think the cough medicines had a lot to do with your BG readings too. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@JayCee10 The 91 you were quoted is the 'old' HbA1c figure, which is equivalent to 10.5 mmol/L used more now.
The rise could be due to stress, your cold or the sugars in the cough medicine, or a combination of all three. My morning mmol/L readings went up from 5-6 to 9.3 when I had a cold a few weeks back.
Anyway the shock might be good in that it was a wake up call to get back on track. You know you need to control things more to get your levels down. I expect that once you have settled into your new home and your cold has got better your blood sugar levels will reduce.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi JayCee10, I think the cough medicines had a lot to do with your BG readings too. :)
Thank you for your reply. On a positive note I did contact one of the companies that produce my favourite cough and chest sweet and explained my diabetes results etc. I had a lovely reply saying that years ago they did produce a sugar free option but the main supermarkets stopped their orders. However, they have had several emails like mine and their marketing department will be readdressing the sugar free option with the leading supermarkets. Fingers crossed, sugar free will be back on the shelves.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@JayCee10 The 91 you were quoted is the 'old' HbA1c figure, which is equivalent to 10.5 mmol/L used more now.
The rise could be due to stress, your cold or the sugars in the cough medicine, or a combination of all three. My morning mmol/L readings went up from 5-6 to 9.3 when I had a cold a few weeks back.
Anyway the shock might be good in that it was a wake up call to get back on track. You know you need to control things more to get your levels down. I expect that once you have settled into your new home and your cold has got better your blood sugar levels will reduce.
Thank you for your reply I have never been able to check my levels in the morning so never sure what I'm doing right or wrong.
I'm dreading Easter as I still have a sweet tooth and can't resist the egg chocolate!!

Reactions: 3 people

original84

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I am new to this site and tested 7.3 on blood sugar yesterday after eating and my fasting glucose this morning before any food or water was 6.1 does anybody think i am pre diabetic or actually diabetic?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @original84 welcome to the forum. Readings of 7 or below are in the non-diabetic range, 7-7.7 are in the pre-diabetic range, and above 7.7 is in the diabetic range.
Your reading of 7.3 isn't very high, and could be due to various factors, and meters aren't 100% accurate. Your fasting level of 6.1 would be in the non-diabetic range, so I don't think you should worry. If you consistently get readings over 7 you should see your GP to ask for a full blood test, as only that would accurately diagnose if you are pre-diabetic or diabetic.

original84

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for responding to me @Prem51 i have been seriously panicking all morning, i have never drank so much water lol i apprciate you taking the time to respond.

Reactions: 3 people

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had results at my new surgery since I moved and was shocked. Not being good with the previous one which was 10, I was told it was 91. I gasped and was tearful and said I can't believe it I was only 10 last time. I was told that I had to work hard to bring it down and k totally agreed. I didn't sleep that night and the next day I contacted yourselves and a few days later I was assured that it wasn't 91 but 10.5 because of the calculations. I was relieved to say the least but obviously not happy with 10.5. I know in my heart that I hadn't worked particularly hard with my diet due to the stress of moving which took nearly 8 months to complete but I also was st the end of a really bad cold and lingering cough. So much so, I was dosing myself with cold and cough medicines that were not sugar free even the day of the blood test. I'm hoping this is the reason for the high result or am I just kidding myself?

UPDATE....... after a fasting blood test last week my results today are 96. Current medication is metformin SR 500mg twice a day, gliclazide 80mg 3 times a day (only increased to 3 a day about 6 weeks ago) and Alogliptin 25mg 1 a day. Doctor has now increased metformin to 500mg 4 times a day, 2morning and 2 evening, I did try the large or 1G tablet before but it gave me chronic diarrhoea so I hope it’ll be ok this way. Other results is liver worse!pancreas normal, kidneys normal. Is 91 to 96 a big jump?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it is not a big jump but it is still very high since last year and it is not good for your health to be this high for very long as this can sometimes lead to diabetic complications.

Why not have a read on the type 2 section of the website connected to the forum. There are lot of good information articles about how you can control type 2. Are you getting any extra help from your doctor?

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No it is not a big jump but it is still very high since last year and it is not good for your health to be this high for very long as this can sometimes lead to diabetic complications.

Why not have a read on the type 2 section of the website connected to the forum. There are lot of good information articles about how you can control type 2. Are you getting any extra help from your doctor?

Thank you Alison for your response. No other help from Doctor just increases meds and tell me to come back in 3 months so having about 2 reviews a year. Even my diabetic nurse left and has been replaced but not so impressed although I’ve asked for help and told to wait to see doctor. I have my annual foot check tomorrow and my retinopathy test next week.