Blood sugar spikes/carbs - help

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering what people’s levels are after having a treat or carbs?

I normally have a treat once a week (tonight was chippy chips). 2 hours after eating it my BS is 12.4!

Earlier in the week I had dinner at 5:30pm (pork chops and mash I think) and before bed at 10pm
my BS was 8.4

Mornings my levels are low, 5-6 and I don’t eat until 12 ish by then I am in the 4’s but if I have any carbs I seems to be high for quite a while afterwards, longer than 2 hours? Is that normal?

I manage my diabetes by diet only and know what to eat and what not to eat and eat no carbs 5 days out of 7 but some days I do need and want something nice.. the odd meal out or odd takeaway.

Just want to know if those levels are normal after my main meal?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: 3 hours after eating the chips I’m back down to 5. Staying high for longer after carbs is possible normal for me?? Hate being up in the 12’s as I never am

leahkian

Some carbs act faster than others like rice, pasta and bread are slow release carbs where as a can of coke will act much quicker. The main thing is that you can have a treat but it may take a while for your BS to come down to normal, we all like a treat so have your treat and enjoy it it took 3 hours to come down. You said that you only eat carbs on 2 days of a week which is fine but your BS level may rise as you have 5 days of not eating carbs, so it will have some effect but as long as they are not to high i can not see a problem.

Reactions: MKD75