Blood sugar swings?

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

When I tested my sugars this morning after waking up, I was pleased to see 5.8 which is the lowest I've had for a week or so. I'm still in the stages of testing out what foods I can and cannot have, so I had my regular breakfast of Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and as expected, two hours later my sugars shot up to 10.8. It has now been six hours since the Weetabix, I haven't eaten anything else, and I just measured my sugars at 4.7 (twice, to make sure I wasn't seeing things!). Is it normal to experience such a massive change? I am still relatively new to all of this so any explanations would be appreciated! :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would expect mine to be back down as low as that in much less than 6 hours, so there is nothing wrong with seeing that drop. In fact, it was good. However, there is a lot wrong with the 10.8. The swing up from 5.8 could be a problem if it happens all the time. Roller coaster levels are very problematic and can cause damage. Your Weetabix and skimmed milk needs to put on your list of foods to avoid.
Any food that raises your levels more than 2mmol/l needs adjusting - either smaller portions or eliminating. Weetabix is very high in carbs (look at the nutrition label on the box) and skimmed milk contains a lot of sugar.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal to experience such a massive change? I am still relatively new to all of this so any explanations would be appreciated! :)
I used to get this too every morning and the drop would make me feel awful. Although I miss my porridge breakfast, I know I feel better without the wild swings.

This explains better than I could how blood sugar control should work and why and how it goes wrong
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046621.php

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would expect mine to be back down as low as that in much less than 6 hours, so there is nothing wrong with seeing that drop. In fact, it was good. However, there is a lot wrong with the 10.8. The swing up from 5.8 could be a problem if it happens all the time. Roller coaster levels are very problematic and can cause damage. Your Weetabix and skimmed milk needs to put on your list of foods to avoid.
Any food that raises your levels more than 2mmol/l needs adjusting - either smaller portions or eliminating. Weetabix is very high in carbs (look at the nutrition label on the box) and skimmed milk contains a lot of sugar.

Thanks for your response! I only really had the Weetabix today to see what kind of response I got, so I definitely won't be having that again!

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only