Blood sugars and tattoos

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’m looking to get a tattoo relatively soon specifically a sleeve, and I’m wondering what effects tattoos can have on your blood sugars, I know they can raise your sugars but I’m not sure on what precautions I need to take, weather to administer insulin for it and how long should I leave it till my next session? I’ve tried to find other threads with no success so if anyone can point me to any previous threads that would be much appreciated!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LewisK123 . A few things to consider regarding tattoos.
1. Choose a reputable tattooist and explain your condition. A tattoo can be time consuming, you may need to check your BS levels and eat if necessary. A good tattooist will be more than happy to take a break and allow time for a snack if needs be.
2. If your BS control is good then risk of complications should be minimal, likewise if your control isn’t good then you maybe at more risk of infection and slow healing.
3. Are you taking any blood thinning medication, aspirin is often prescribed to type 1’s. Something you may need to consider especially if you’re having a lot of work done in one sitting. It takes around 5/7 days for the effects of aspirin to leave the blood system. Ask your GP for advice. I personally stopped aspirin for a week prior to being tattooed in order to help blood clotting.
4. After being tattooed take all necessary precautions to avoid infection. A good tattooist should give all relevant advice. If you’re in any doubt seek another tattooist.
Good luck.

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hello, I’m looking to get a tattoo relatively soon specifically a sleeve, and I’m wondering what effects tattoos can have on your blood sugars, I know they can raise your sugars but I’m not sure on what precautions I need to take, weather to administer insulin for it and how long should I leave it till my next session? I’ve tried to find other threads with no success so if anyone can point me to any previous threads that would be much appreciated!
I've had several tattoos all lasting at least a couple of hours and have not noticed any significant rises in my blood sugars. I'm have a Libre sensor now so I will monitor my bm during my next sitting in May. You've got me curious now.

Reactions: Juicyj

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LewisK123 . A few things to consider regarding tattoos.
1. Choose a reputable tattooist and explain your condition. A tattoo can be time consuming, you may need to check your BS levels and eat if necessary. A good tattooist will be more than happy to take a break and allow time for a snack if needs be.
2. If your BS control is good then risk of complications should be minimal, likewise if your control isn’t good then you maybe at more risk of infection and slow healing.
3. Are you taking any blood thinning medication, aspirin is often prescribed to type 1’s. Something you may need to consider especially if you’re having a lot of work done in one sitting. It takes around 5/7 days for the effects of aspirin to leave the blood system. Ask your GP for advice. I personally stopped aspirin for a week prior to being tattooed in order to help blood clotting.
4. After being tattooed take all necessary precautions to avoid infection. A good tattooist should give all relevant advice. If you’re in any doubt seek another tattooist.
Good luck.
Thank you for this advice very helpful!! Luckily I’m not on any blood thinners just omeprozol daily which is fine. I’m in the process of organising it at the moment but this artist seems pretty good!

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had several tattoos all lasting at least a couple of hours and have not noticed any significant rises in my blood sugars. I'm have a Libre sensor now so I will monitor my bm during my next sitting in May. You've got me curious now.
Oh well that is interesting, I’m simply going off the Diabetes website, so I guess that advice is pretty generic and more something that could potentially happen? Have you got a tattoo on your arm where the libre is placed and if so do you still put the libre there or do you find a different place?

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Oh well that is interesting, I’m simply going off the Diabetes website, so I guess that advice is pretty generic and more something that could potentially happen? Have you got a tattoo on your arm where the libre is placed and if so do you still put the libre there or do you find a different place?
I wear my Libre on the underside of my arm so it's not effected but we are all different and what works for some won't work for everyone. We just do what works for us I guess.

Reactions: LewisK123